Powdered/ Liquid Sugar/ Brew Enhancer? Pro's/con's

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacob6699

Reaction score
what the deal with liquid sugar? is it better than dextros brew enhancer , and whats the diff between dextrose, brew enhcr 1 and brew enhcr 2

what the deal with liquid sugar? is it better than dextros brew enhancer , and whats the diff between dextrose, brew enhcr 1 and brew enhcr 2

Im not sure what you mean by liquid sugar. At any rate, either liquid glucose or liquid malt are both just the same as dry dextrose and dry malt respectively. They just have about 20% water in them so you need to add more of it to get the same concentration.

Dextrose is dextrose. BE1 is a mix of dextrose and maltodextrin (corn sugar). BE2 is a mix of dextrose, malt, and maltodextrin.

Dextrose adds alcohol. Malt adds body, flavour and alcohol. Maltodextrin adds body and improves head retention (but doesnt add alcohol).

Using BE1 or 2 will give you a much better product than dextrose or brewing sugar.

the the stuff i've got is called brewise liquid gluecose and comes i a 1 kilo tin. is there any pros,cons in using one or the other that any one nose of?

Maltodextrin adds body and improves head retention (but doesnt add alcohol).

or flavour. ;)

found the amounts years ago, makes life easier knowing whats what.....
be1= 600g dextrose, 400g maltodextrin
be2 = 500g dextrose, 250g maltodextrin, 250g light dry malt

Mixing this up yourself with ingredients from the lhbs is much cheaper than buying the branded stuff....and you can tweak it to how you like it. If the malt is increased enough, it adds enough body that you don't need the maltodextrin at all....but you can only increase the malt so far before you need to add more bitterness with hops.

Kits, for the most part, are designed to be used wih around 250g malt in your adjunct mix. Depending on tastes, you can get away with a little more before you need to add hops. (for example, coopers tins are designed, for the most part, to be used with a coopers BE2 and nothing else, in its bog standard form. Most other tins follow this example. Morgans tins, on the other hand, are designed with the intention of using one of the Morgans Masterblends with it...and these have much more malt. so the Morgans tins are hopped to a greater degree than most other tins.)

When I used tins, I always considered that the manufacturer intended it to be used with 250g malt....so when I upped that to a kilo, I would hop the right amount to offset the additional 750g malt I was using.....bringing the level of bitterness back to what the manufacturer intended in the first place.

Mixing this up yourself with ingredients from the lhbs is much cheaper than buying the branded stuff.

Definitely take butters advice on this, went to G&G the other day & bought 5kg ldme, 2kg dried wheat malt and a few other things, if I had bought this from a supermarket I'd be much much poorer. Also the LHBS stock would be much better quality I'm sure.

Nathan

the the stuff i've got is called brewise liquid gluecose and comes i a 1 kilo tin. is there any pros,cons in using one or the other that any one nose of?

Glucose and dextrose are the same thing. The tin would be the equivalent of about 800g dry dextrose. There shouldnt be any difference between the two except that liquid stuff is easier to make a sticky mess with and hard to store once opened.

I'd prefer to use BE2 for most kits, but the tin and 1/4-1/2kg dry malt should turn out OK. It really depends on the style of beer you are trying to make.

Latest posts

Back