• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Pots?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexi82

Reaction score
Hey Guys

First post for me so 'gday gday'!

Used to a bit of brewing back in Perth but since moving to Melbourne havn't touched it...plus a lot of my gear (including pots) is back in the shed over there.

So i've been looking to get another pot to kick off my brewing. I have found this website which I thought I would share:
http://www.underpressure.com.au

if you go to stockpots and then aluminium....100bucks for a 40L, 115 for a 50L. seems like pretty good prices to me.

But was hoping someone had a second hand pot I could purchase?

Cheers,
Alexi

G'day Alexi82, welcome to AHB and to Melb. If you don't find a second hand pot and are looking for a new one, you can save a few bucks on aluminium pots if you look at the hotel/hospitality suppliers. Google it and you'll find a few. I picked up a 60L for 100 bucks.

Maple

Second hand pots are pretty rare, and when they come up they disappear faster than a cat with a bee up it's bum. You have to be quicker than the other 500 people on here casually looking out for a pot or bigger/better pot....

Thanks for the welcome!

Fair enough re: the second hand pots! found a number of sites with some good prices anyway.

Another question if i can (still related to this thread).

A mate of mine suggested using one of those 40L urns that have the electric coils...cant think of any reason why these wouldnt work? has anyone tried these or heard of anyone using them? using the BIAB method i would imagine it would be quite easy and effective?

Am keen to read your comments...

Cheers,
Alexi

Alexi,

What sort of pots did you have and which shed are they in?

A mate of mine suggested using one of those 40L urns that have the electric coilsCheers,
Alexi

Buying new you are looking at comparativelly big bucks - the 30L one I use as an HLT was "cheap" at around $200. Still one of the better investments in my brury I have made.

Second hand, well you take your chances.

Once you get beyond 30L elements you also tend to have to check the wiring in your home, could easily blow circuits or trip the RCD device otherwise.

Thanks for the welcome!

Fair enough re: the second hand pots! found a number of sites with some good prices anyway.

Another question if i can (still related to this thread).

A mate of mine suggested using one of those 40L urns that have the electric coils...cant think of any reason why these wouldnt work? has anyone tried these or heard of anyone using them? using the BIAB method i would imagine it would be quite easy and effective?

Am keen to read your comments...

Cheers,
Alexi

Hi,

I'm using a Langco 50L with a 2400W element.
I control it with an Auber PID.

I've bought all of my stainless pots/kettles/urns from eBay.

Ian...

Hi,

I'm using a Langco 50L with a 2400W element.
I control it with an Auber PID.

I've bought all of my stainless pots/kettles/urns from eBay.
Ian...

Nice. I have seen a Birko 40L for 240bucks.

I guess the question i had was are they suitable for mashing....presuming that as people are using them they are. Would you think a decent pot would be better than an urn though?

I guess the question i had was are they suitable for mashing....presuming that as people are using them they are. Would you think a decent pot would be better than an urn though?

Hi,

Must have missed the bit where you wanted to use it for mashing.
I use mine as a HLT.

Ian

www.allquip.com.au Its where mine came from and a lot of other peoples on here as well.
Cheers,kingy

edit:just scrolled there site there a lot cheaper than you have found

Are the pictures accurate? as i am looking for a stainless steel pot, with a lip, like shown in the picture,

Alexi,

I have mashed in an urn with a false bottom above the element. Worked fine. BIAB is just delaying your transittion to consistency.

cheers

Darren

Someone should start a Wiki on this subject....not volunteering

Sorry to bring up an old thread - I was looking for a title that was relevant to my topic, but didn't think it deserved its own thread...

This one's for Melbournians - especially those in the West. I have bought a couple of pots from a place called Footscray Fabrics :)huh:) in the past. They're at 18c Paisley St, Footscray and apparently their number is (03) 9687 3791 (never tried it). My latest purchase was a 90 litre aluminium pot (~4mm walls) for $120. That seems seriously cheap compared to many places.

I drilled a 1" hole in the thing in about 10 seconds with a holesaw and it's all tapped up, ready to boil my double batches.

IMG_3897.JPG

IMG_3895.JPG

They have smaller pots for lesser prices of course. As a comparison, I checked out some 50 litre alum pots at the Vic Market last week - they were going for $118...so for $2 more you effectively double your volume.

I'm not sure on stocking levels - it's seriously the messiest shop you've seen in your life, but they seem to re-order quickly. If you do happen to visit, the pots are on the top shelf at the right-hand end of the shop. When you walk in, consider the word 'stocktake' and have a chuckle to yourself... :lol:

Cheers
Dave

Dave

I'd assume a strong understanding of Vietnamese would probably be a pre-requisite also? :lol:

Warren -

Sorry to bring up an old thread - I was looking for a title that was relevant to my topic, but didn't think it deserved its own thread...

This one's for Melbournians - especially those in the West. I have bought a couple of pots from a place called Footscray Fabrics :)huh:) in the past. They're at 18c Paisley St, Footscray and apparently their number is (03) 9687 3791 (never tried it). My latest purchase was a 90 litre aluminium pot (~4mm walls) for $120. That seems seriously cheap compared to many places.

Cheers
Dave

Aren't 4mm walls a little thin as i assume the base would be about the same, so wouldnt there be a high chance of burning the wort?

Aren't 4mm walls a little thin as i assume the base would be about the same, so wouldnt there be a high chance of burning the wort?

My kettle's walls are probably about that thickness, and I've never scorched wort in it. Aluminum has such a high thermal conductivity that the entire pot gets hot all at once, making it almost impossible to scorch the contents. The heat isn't concentrated to one area like it is with SS.

Dave

I'd assume a strong understanding of Vietnamese would probably be a pre-requisite also? :lol:

Warren -

Whatever you do, don't ask for "Who Flung Dung"...that old schoolyard favourite doesn't go down so well... :unsure: :lol:

Back