Pot Insulation - How To Not Burn

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are fire blankets actually fire proof though? I thought they just worked because they smothered the fire exhausting it of oxygen and hence putting it out before the blanket can catch alight. If you put one on a burner which is pumping LPG into the fire, i'd think it would go up in smoke pretty quickly.

I am not sure if sustained heat will burn it, i'd expect it would probably melt the glass at some point which would cause other issues

Probably easier to come up with something that is easily removed insulation wise like an air-cell/camping mat wrap with velcro.

I solved the problem just by removing the bottom third of the insulation when i converted my large pot from steam injection to LPG.

it has closed cell foam (like camping mats) covered by heavy rubber sheeting all glued up with Gelgrip.

Was this

boiler9.jpg

Now this

boiler21.jpg

I get the flames licking round the bottom and it doesn't scorch.

Holy shiz that thing is huge haha. I will be doing something similar to insulate my 70L mash tun s/s pot. camping mat + some form of rubber.

WAG on height. I think it's about 1/3rd.

It has a 4 ring camping shop burner underneath on a high pressure regulator. Capacity is around 160 litres. I already had it as a steam injection pot for cooking corn and converted it to gas when i started doing allgrain for beer.
I do 84l net batches. I need to turn the gas down fairly low once it reaches the boil.

You can see how hot the flame gets by the scortching on the carpet square underneath. The outlet is high enough to get a 20l bucket under it with a few inches of spare space.
The foam and rubber has never looked like melting even though the flames lick out the sides when i have it cranking. You can put your hand to the side of the rubber when it's boiling and the rubber is barely above room temp.

Insulation going on

boil3.jpg

boiler6.jpg

coming off

boiler17.jpg

Latest posts

Back