Post Cc'ing Cube Is Producing Alot Of Gas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cube

SAY MY NAME, BITCH
Reaction score
Gidday

I have a Mexican cerveza I'm bottling tomorrow night. I brewed it 23/8/08 OG 1046. Racked in cube and into 2 deg fridge 6/9/08. FG 1012. 500g DME and 700g dex. Coopers kit.

I took this out of the fridge yesterday and have it on the bench coming up to room temp. I have noticed it is producing a fair amount of gas, as it was buldging tonight so I undone the cap a little and a huge 'hhssssssssssss' came out. I've had to do this twice.

Is this normal for beer to do this as it is warming up? expansion? It still feels quite cold, so no where the 27 we have here at the moment. ( hot night )

I too a sg and it was 1011 today. Beer Smith predicts FG of 1011.

Might check tomorrow arvo and see if it's dropped at all.

Due to higher CO2 solubility at colder temperatures, if the beer was saturated (which is likely the case as there is still some fermentation, albeit little, during CC) you would expect CO2 to come out of solution as it warms up.

However, if it's keeps going it's still fermenting. The drop in SG isn't conclusive as the use of a hydrometer doesn't give an accurate or precise measure.

By this I mean:

- Your fermenter contents may not be homogenous; the sample you draw from the tap may not be an accurate representation of the overall contents.
- Temperature affects readings.
- May be solids present which will affect results.
- Possible parallax errors.

Two readings within 1 gravity point isn't enough to conclude fermentation is still happening.

An update on this. Bottled last night. Had to leave the top od the cube slightly loose for a few days as it started fermenting again. I guess it went nuts because ambient temp was 27 in the house and being a lager yeast.... Funnily enough, the banana smell has almost dissipated compared to when I brought in in from the fridge, ie chilled.

FG came down to 1008 !!!!.... sheez... that was unexpected.

Anyhow - tasting great and waiting a few weeks to test.

For those in the know, is my 2 weeks at 2 deg conditioning now a waste as a day or two fermentation sprung back to life after CC'ing?

Cheers

Latest posts

Back