Fermentation After Racking

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NDH

Reaction score
Hi All,

Have been searching around previous topics to find some piece of mind but didn't find much, here is my dilemma:

Extract Pale Ale, ingredients of no particular importance, US-05 yeast

Plugged it into Ians preadsheet which has been very accurate for me in terms of OG/FG, 1046 OG - 1010 FG in this case

Brewed Monday - Hit OG bang on 1046 which was what the spreadsheet told me, bubbled away very happily around 19 degC

Friday - SG 1010/1009 (couldnt decide)

Monday - SG 1010

Tuesday (today) - FG 1010, again bang on what was predicted, and consistant so I racked to secondary with finings.

This is the bit thats got me buggered. I've got loads of airlock activity all of a sudden and am interested if this could be fermentation after rousing the yeast cake a little? I'll do another gravity reading tomorrow as I see no point in wasting more beer now, but if it is fermenting, what effect does the finings have on the fermentation process seeing as it is in there to clear the yeast out?

I'll leave it in the secondary a while, seeing as its off the yeast cake now, it can sit there for another week. Might even sneak it into the keg fridge while its empty and crash chill it to really clear it out before bottling. Its my first extract along with a lot of other firsts and I'm anxious to see if I've managed to produce something I can drink or if I have to invite my mates round to drink it for me.

Cheers

Nick

it may drop one or two points more but that will be it. most likely its the dissolved co2 coming out of solution now that it can

This comes up once in a while.

The bubbles are from the dissolved CO2 in your beer.

Also no need to worry about your beer setting on the yeast. Yeast do more then make bubbles and alcohol. Up to a month if at a comfortable temperature is fine.

Try letting it set for 2 weeks next time and see if you can tell any difference in taste.

Latest posts

Back