Possible bottle bombs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S.E said:
Im not telling him or you what to do either. Just giving options and saying what I would do. Yes I’m still a big fan of real ale in a cube, been doing it about 7 years now.
I haven’t tried pouring bottles in to a cube myself and would guess it would be difficult to do without oxidising but I would try it before dumping a beer if it tastes ok.
I have racked to a cube early to free up a fermenter then transferred to another cube without problems.
Racking to cube is different to pouring bottles in.
I was referring to you baiting/fishing with the RA cube thing - not how long you've actually been doing it. Makes perfect sense to me (RA in a cube that is).
And yes we are both giving him options. Agreed and agreed.

I wouldn't worry to too much about the beer going stale because of introduced oxygen when pouring the bottles back into the fermentor.

The yeast will scavenge the oxygen before it has a chance to spoil the beer.

Edit: 'too' not 'to' (I hate that).

manticle said:
In 2 weeks you could make new beer. **** ******* around and having to reprime every beer. So couldn't be arsed. Done it before, wouldn't again.
Each to their own.
In two weeks I would have made new beer too, along with the perfectly salvageable beer he was about to pour on the lawn but as you say each to there own I just cant give up on a brew that easy.

manticle said:
Racking to cube is different to pouring bottles in.
I was referring to you baiting/fishing with the RA cube thing - not how long you've actually been doing it. Makes perfect sense to me (RA in a cube that is).
And yes we are both giving him options. Agreed and agreed.
Not sure what I said that seems to have annoyed you. I was not suggesting that your advice was wrong just as you acknowledge giving options to avoid bottle bombs and also save the brew. For what it’s worth I find your advice on brewing to be the consistently the most sensible across the forum.

Why would you think or suggest that I was baiting/fishing with the RA cube suggestion?
The safety of cubes has been hotly debated in the past and there is a school of thought that cubes can explode if used for no chill or casks so I used the armour flame suit emoticon thingy to acknowledge this and hopefully avoid disapproval and argument.

As I said I would be comfortable just releasing the excess pressure re capping and using a pet bottle to monitor. However if the op or anyone else shared your opinion that it was still too risky as a safer option they could pour the bottles slowly in to a cube leaving little or no head space (squeeze the cube if necessary). As pointed out above the yeast should scavenge the remaining oxygen. Once it reached FG it can be primed and served from the cube if they felt comfortable with that or re bottled.

I know racking to a cube is different to pouring bottles in and I should have been clearer and mentioned in my previous post that I could not find the hose I normally use from the fermenter tap to the bottom of the cube so I just opened the tap and let it pour in to the cube as I had a brew in the Kettle ready to go in the fermenter. I later transferred it to another cube after the yeast had settled out and it was fine not oxidised
I also once used a cube to catch beer frothing out the over flow while filling 20 50L kegs and ended up with about 15L in the cube. This was force carbed in a conical and the cube not primed but the beer was still ok about two weeks later from memory.

S.E said:
Not sure what I said that seems to have annoyed you. I was not suggesting that your advice was wrong just as you acknowledge giving options to avoid bottle bombs and also save the brew. For what it’s worth I find your advice on brewing to be the consistently the most sensible across the forum.

Why would you think or suggest that I was baiting/fishing with the RA cube suggestion?
The safety of cubes has been hotly debated in the past and there is a school of thought that cubes can explode if used for no chill or casks so I used the armour flame suit emoticon thingy to acknowledge this and hopefully avoid disapproval and argument.

As I said I would be comfortable just releasing the excess pressure re capping and using a pet bottle to monitor. However if the op or anyone else shared your opinion that it was still too risky as a safer option they could pour the bottles slowly in to a cube leaving little or no head space (squeeze the cube if necessary). As pointed out above the yeast should scavenge the remaining oxygen. Once it reached FG it can be primed and served from the cube if they felt comfortable with that or re bottled.

I know racking to a cube is different to pouring bottles in and I should have been clearer and mentioned in my previous post that I could not find the hose I normally use from the fermenter tap to the bottom of the cube so I just opened the tap and let it pour in to the cube as I had a brew in the Kettle ready to go in the fermenter. I later transferred it to another cube after the yeast had settled out and it was fine not oxidised
I also once used a cube to catch beer frothing out the over flow while filling 20 50L kegs and ended up with about 15L in the cube. This was force carbed in a conical and the cube not primed but the beer was still ok about two weeks later from memory.

Nothing has annoyed me mate. I think we have the wrong end of each other's pointy bits.

All good from this end.

Hey Lowlyf, how long are you actually doing your primary ferments for?

Sometimes it helps the flavour of the beer to give it an additional few days to a week after reaching a stable FG. This gives the yeast some additional time to clean up off flavours. Usually for me with US 05 my fermentation (which includes a 2-7 day cold crash) will be between 2-4 weeks total.

If you are rushing from brewday to bottling in. Less than 10 days you are probably not doing your beer any favours.

pat86 said:
Hey Lowlyf, how long are you actually doing your primary ferments for?

Sometimes it helps the flavour of the beer to give it an additional few days to a week after reaching a stable FG. This gives the yeast some additional time to clean up off flavours. Usually for me with US 05 my fermentation (which includes a 2-7 day cold crash) will be between 2-4 weeks total.

If you are rushing from brewday to bottling in. Less than 10 days you are probably not doing your beer any favours.
Yeah I went for a week with that one. I'm going two weeks now with other brews including a cold crash for 2 days

Back