Possible bottle bombs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
manticle said:
Get them as cold as possible, as quickly as possible. Chill for at least 24 hours. You can open and leave to degas, then recap and repeat until they aren't over the top - your guess as good as mine. If it were me though and
if they are glass, I'd chill, open them all, have a big session then tip the rest down the sink. Not worth the risk.
Why would you tip the rest down the sink? Couldn’t he just cover the tops with Cling Wrap then recap them once they’ve degassed? They may well be ok.

S.E said:
Why would you tip the rest down the sink? Couldn’t he just cover the tops with Cling Wrap then recap them once they’ve degassed? They may well be ok.
That's an idea! Anyone have any there thoughts on this?

Could I carefully pour them back into the fermenter and try to limit the oxygen as I go? Would one of those carboy siphons do the job? The neck on them look pretty thick and I dont think they would fit through the neck of the bottle

Lowlyf said:

Could I carefully pour them back into the fermenter and try to limit the oxygen as I go? Would one of those carboy siphons do the job? The neck on them look pretty thick and I dont think they would fit through the neck of the bottle
I wouldn't tip them back into the fermenter, that is almost guaranteed to oxidise and leave you with cardboard flavoured beer.

I would do like Manticle suggested, chill them, invite the crew over and drink it.

or chalk it down to experience and ditch it.

You have to ask yourself, is $40 (aprroximate) worth losing an eye/ finger/testicle/whatever else the glass hits if it explodes when you are around for?

Lowlyf said:
I just opened up a bottle and it frothed up everywhere. Is this batch salvageable?

It doesn't actually taste too bad though

Yikes! Abort! Abort! Abort!

Maybe you did have something to worry about!

Rob.P said:
I wouldn't tip them back into the fermenter, that is almost guaranteed to oxidise and leave you with cardboard flavoured beer.

I would do like Manticle suggested, chill them, invite the crew over and drink it.

or chalk it down to experience and ditch it.

You have to ask yourself, is $40 (aprroximate) worth losing an eye/ finger/testicle/whatever else the glass hits if it explodes when you are around for?
Fair point! Do I ditch it all now? OR wait for them to chill and then ditch them?

S.E said:
Of course he could. He can do whatever seems sensible.
overgassed glass and me - I'd just chuck and make anew. It's up to the individual what risks they are happy to take.

I appreciate the feedback, but I need to know when and how to dispose of this safely. Any recommendations?

Lowlyf said:

You could just treat each bottle as a mini fermenter. Put a bit of cling Wrap over the neck of each bottle until they’ve reached FG then prime and recap.
What I would do though is open them all and recap right away but pour some gently in to a pet bottle for monitoring the pressure.

I wouldn’t tip them if there is nothing wrong with them and as you say they taste ok. Just keep drinking them and tip if and when they don’t taste ok.

manticle said:
Of course he could. He can do whatever seems sensible.
overgassed glass and me - I'd just chuck and make anew. It's up to the individual what risks they are happy to take.
Yep Id be worried about the over gassed glass to, but as he’s aware of problem and can easily rectify it I do that first. Maybe just me and the thought of chucking good beer. :)

I understand the reluctance but I've seen what glass can do.
I've also found over the last few years that starting again is often more effective and less frustrating than trying to fix something that's broken.

manticle said:
I understand the reluctance but I've seen what glass can do.
I've also found over the last few years that starting again is often more effective and less frustrating than trying to fix something that's broken.
But that’s my point. It’s not broken he’s just sort of re racked it. It would be fiddly to let it clear and re bottle it but if he just re caps and drinks it soon it should be ok.
He could always pour it into a cube and serve it as real ale if he’s still concerned about the bottles exploding. Cubes are far safer. :ph34r:

If he pours it into a cube it will probably oxidise.
Again - I'm not telling him (or you) what to do. I'm just stating what I would do if I were in that situation.
Like a dog with a bone on the real ale cube thing mate. Must be a couple of years gone past by now eh?

JeeZuz! Just slightly crack every beer top so it leaks pressure slowly, let it ferment out for a 2 weeks at 22c then re-prime re-cap and your good to go

**** pouring perfectly good beer out!

In 2 weeks you could make new beer. **** ******* around and having to reprime every beer. So couldn't be arsed. Done it before, wouldn't again.
Each to their own.

manticle said:
If he pours it into a cube it will probably oxidise.
Again - I'm not telling him (or you) what to do. I'm just stating what I would do if I were in that situation.
Like a dog with a bone on the real ale cube thing mate. Must be a couple of years gone past by now eh?
Im not telling him or you what to do either. Just giving options and saying what I would do. Yes I’m still a big fan of real ale in a cube, been doing it about 7 years now.
I haven’t tried pouring bottles in to a cube myself and would guess it would be difficult to do without oxidising but I would try it before dumping a beer if it tastes ok.
I have racked to a cube early to free up a fermenter then transferred to another cube without problems.

After everyone's input (which I am greatly appreciative of) I decided to pop them open and careful tip them all back into the fermenter. I couldn't find any brew shops open on a Sunday so I wouldn't be able to brew until next weekend anyway. I am going see how it goes and cold crash the ******* and see how she turns out. If it's good ill re rack, if not I'll throw it out.

I'll cut my losses and try again next weekend. I'm determined to make good beer!

As you want to try and salvage them- Have you go a large esky, laundry sink? If so put them in, fill up with heaps of ice, chill them right down and as suggested, drink them. I personally would not go to the trouble of pouring them into the fermenter again.
Cheers

Lowlyf said:
After everyone's input (which I am greatly appreciative of) I decided to pop them open and careful tip them all back into the fermenter. I couldn't find any brew shops open on a Sunday so I wouldn't be able to brew until next weekend anyway. I am going see how it goes and cold crash the ******* and see how she turns out. If it's good ill re rack, if not I'll throw it out.

I'll cut my losses and try again next weekend. I'm determined to make good beer!
[SIZE=11pt]I think pouring back to the fermenter would be the least likely option to succeed. If you must though do you have a cube or something that you can fill right up and leave no head space.[/SIZE]

Back