Porter Recipe Comments Please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redmond

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing a porter tomorrow and would like to get some feedback on my recipe? The efficiency is set at 85% but I am not completely sure about that. Previous brews using galaxy pilsner ahve yielded close to 90% from my system.

WildCatz Porter

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 21.00 Wort Size (L): 21.00
Total Grain (kg): 4.60
Anticipated OG: 1.047 Plato: 11.72
Anticipated SRM: 20.8
Anticipated IBU: 27.1
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name
----------------------------------------
87.0 4.00 kg. Galaxy Pilsner Malt
5.4 0.25 kg. Dark Crystal
4.3 0.20 kg. Brown Malt
3.3 0.15 kg. Chocolate Malt

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
19.00 g. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 6.60 19.6 60 min.
10.00 g. Fuggle Pellet 5.70 4.6 30 min.
14.00 g. Fuggle Pellet 5.00 2.9 15 min.

Yeast
-----

Windsor dried yeast

Thanks

Jason.

Not brewed a brown porter before, so the use of the Pilsener malt seems at odds to me. I guess if the other malts balance it out, but you could end up with a black Pilsener. Other than that the figures look spot on, Hops seem to be about right. Should make a drinkable beer either way.

I often use Australian pils malt as a base for ales, including my last (first) porter. It is certainly different to ale malt, but if it is what you're looking for...

I'll be brewing something quite like this early next week to blend with some bourbon. I'll be using Amber instead of Brown, adding some oatmeal and looking for darker, but yours looks good enough!

I reckon it looks nice Jason. Pils malt should be fine in it's own way. Plenty of Baltic Porters made the same way.

One nitpick if I may though. I'd maybe look at upping your IBUs by around 10 (say around 35 IBUs for argument's sake). Going to be a rather sweet porter otherwise. Particularly with the Windsor yeast.

Enjoy. :)

Warren -

I have toyed around with different base malts for my porter. Looking at your recipe I'd mash in around 68*C to get a bit more out of the pils malt. Compared to say marris otter it is fairly band so the 5% dark crystal should compensate with the compliments of the brown malt.

Bitterness could be on the sweet side, I'd aim for a BU:GU ratio of 0.7-0.8 too, especially if you choose to mash warmer.

Either way it looks like a good recipe to start with, hope it brews well for you

Sorry for the delay in replying but thanks for the tips. Thanks for the comments. Firstly I used pils malt more because that's what I had but I have had some pretty good success with it though. I made a great stout not long back.

Anyway, taking comments into consideration I adjusted the recipe slightly to this:

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 21.00 Wort Size (L): 21.00
Total Grain (kg): 4.60
Anticipated OG: 1.047 Plato: 11.72
Anticipated SRM: 20.8
Anticipated IBU: 35.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

% Amount Name
---------------------------------------------------
87.0 4.00 kg. Galaxy Pilsner Malt
5.4 0.25 kg. Crystal 105L
4.3 0.20 kg. Brown Malt
3.3 0.15 kg. Chocolate Malt

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
8.00 g. Perle Pellet 6.80 8.5 60 min.
19.00 g. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 6.60 19.6 60 min.
10.00 g. Fuggle Pellet 5.70 4.6 30 min.
14.00 g. Fuggle Pellet 5.00 2.9 15 min.

Still used Windsor.

I got my SG bang on 1.047 and finished with 1.018. Haven't tried it yet though. Will keep you posted.

Red.

only just seen this thread...

If you are using windsor, i hope you mashed really cool, otherwise your finishing gravity is probably going to be above 1020. I'd be using Nottingham in a porter, unless you really want a sweet porter. Not too late to pop down & pick some up to mix with the Windsor, as i guess you've already pitched.

cheers Ross

If you are using windsor, i hope you mashed really cool, otherwise your finishing gravity is probably going to be above 1020. I'd be using Nottingham in a porter, unless you really want a sweet porter. Not too late to pop down & pick some up to mix with the Windsor, as i guess you've already pitched.

cheers Ross

Thanks Ross but I have already pitched, finished actually. I do have some nottingham but I am just investigating what the different yeasts do. I think the mash settled around 65 degrees and I did hit 1.018 to finish. Oh well, should have a sample by the next BABBs meeting.

cheers Ross

I'd second that my best bitter on tap at the mo finished at 1017 :eek: from 1046. Mashed @ 66.5, doesn't taste sweet as I used a shiteload of EKG plugs and one in the keg for about 34 IBUs ;)

Dave

Back