Portable Kegging Setup Idea With Diagram

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have done something very similar to this for a prty keg setup.

I am using one of the pressure sprayer pary kegs, but place that inside a mayo style bucket filled with ice. (20L I think).
I am dispensing using a keg charger and use a bronco tap drilled through the side of the bucket. With a lid and handle it is easily portable.

Looks and works good.

Your idea is just a bit more industrial strength.

How have the wheelie bins been insulated? Expanding foam?

I used 5 polystyrene vege container lids that i got from the local fruit shop, botton and 4 sides, jammed into palce then a can of expanda foam fills the gaps and hold it all tight. If i put a cold keg in there and two bags of ice, it stays cold for over 24 hours, some nights the ice re-freezes around the keg. fits the keg, a soda steam co2 bottle and two bags oof ice with stax of room for lines etc, i want to fit a insulated lid to place on top of the ice, so i might get a bit more out of it.

Thanks for ALL the replies guys.

Lots of useful info there. I will probably end up giving Ross a call and seeing what he thinks about it all.

Priming the keg for carbonation seems the way to go. I might try and find 2 storage boxes or something similar at bunnings that i can modify to house the setup.

having wheels on it could be useful for sure.

The gatorade style round esky is a good idea as well. could mount a proper tap on one of those.... mmmm

I will look into it more and when i make something i will definitly post back with it.

Thanks
gerald

Well Gerald had me thinking when he started this thread nearly a year ago. So I have used his idea, and have a few photos of my work in progress.
Portable_keg_cooler_001.JPG
Portable_keg_cooler_003.JPG

A few more shots.
Portable_keg_cooler_007.JPG
Portable_keg_cooler_010.JPG

Jobs remaining are; need to stain and vanish the lid, put a couple of handles on it, and then give it a coat of paint.
I will be using a 0.54kg Dieman CO2 bottle, that will fit inside the pipe. A couple of bags of ice over the keg and all sorted.
The pipe is 300mm class 6 that I had lying around, I have glued a storm water end cap on the base so that it will hold water.
I am not sure if I will bother with a drip tray yet, as it is designed for use outside.

i use a 170 litre chest freezer with a double font on top fits 2 19 litre kegs and a gas bottle inside.i screwed some castors on and it wheels on to the trailer

All finished now.
Keg_cooler_010.JPG
Keg_cooler_011.JPG

Ready for an AMB case swap this weekend.

Nice work Boston, looks the shit!!
:icon_cheers:

All finished now.
Ready for an AMB case swap this weekend.

i want it... NOW!

Make sure you put a decent amount of ice below and above it, hoping a fair amount fills the sides too. Are you pre-chilling it before the event? or allowing the ice to do the work on the day?

i want it... NOW!

Make sure you put a decent amount of ice below and above it, hoping a fair amount fills the sides too. Are you pre-chilling it before the event? or allowing the ice to do the work on the day?
The idea is to pre-chill and then maintain temp with ice, I should be able to fit 2 standard bags of ice in it.
Over night lows of 0 and around 8-10 C during the days ATM and serving a stout, so no additional ice for the christening.

Seriously Boston, can I have it, now! ;)

Have you poured from it yet? Do you think you will have issues with such a short beer line? Either way coil it and it can only help cool the beer....

Again, Farken great work...

What would you equate the total cost to be? [minus keg, tap and reg.]

Cheers!

Seriously Boston, can I have it, now! ;)

Have you poured from it yet? Do you think you will have issues with such a short beer line? Either way coil it and it can only help cool the beer....

Again, Farken great work...

What would you equate the total cost to be? [minus keg, tap and reg.]

Cheers!
Thanks for that.
It is a Celli tap with flow control, so short distance should be no problem. Have not poured from it yet.

300mm class 6 PVC left over from a job at work $0
300mm PVC Storm water end cap $30 (I think)
Trunk handles from Bunnings $12
Can of spray paint $11
Lid - IKEA chopping Board $35
Bit of varnish $0

Less than $90 all up.

Diemen CO2 bottle around $100 plus freight

Cheers for that!

Something I will be exploring as a 'party' keg becomes more and more in desire demand!

:beerbang:

Latest posts

Back