Portable Kegging Setup Idea With Diagram

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerald

Reaction score
hey guys,

i wanna put together a kegging setup for parties n such. probably wont get much (infact more likely 0%) use at home cos i dont have a fridge that can accomodate a keg.

so when i take it to parties i gotta keep it cool for 24 hours before hand so the beer will cool and will absorb the co2 i pump into it...is this correct?

so i was thinking of having 2 tubes of PVC with insulator of some kind between them. and then id place the keg in the centre tube and fill it with ice.

have a bronko style tap come out the side of the tubes and all the length of the beer line cos sit in the ice to keep cool?

id use disposable co2 cartridges to gas the keg up.

would this work?

how long do i need to keep the keg cool before i gas it up?

reckon the ice and the insulator would keep the keg cool enough.

all input welcome!

thanks
gerald

Looks good mate.

The insulation should work a treat. I find if my keg is immersed in ice water it only needs about 45 min to get cold enough for serving.

With the gas you really want to get it carbed up prior to taking to a party as can be a hassle to do there.
If there is any way you can get the beer cold before hand at home, use a regular gas bottle to force carb your beer to desired carbonation. Then is can get warm again till needed, and once recooled will still be carbonated.

The other option if you don't have the regulator and gas bottle at home is to secondary ferment in the keg to get the desired carbonation. Just bulk prime as you would for bottles but put straight into kegs. Let sit for a week or untill fully done then plonk in your machine and serve.

I mention this because I have heard the hand held gas dispensers are for serving only and not so good to actually carb the beer up.

Otherwise it all looks good.

Could also probably do without the line to the tap being so long and insulated if your using a bronco. The bronco line you get when you order it from Ross is only so long, and unless its sitting in the sun or not being poured for some time it will stay cold along with the keg.

Best of luck and report back. There are many ideas about getting the keg to a party, keeping it cold and at serving pressure with minimal convenience and they all have different ideas and success.

Good luck :icon_cheers:

I would say the final product would end up pretty heavy by the time you finish. PVC of that diameter is thick walled.
I have been thinking about a similar concept but attaching the tap to a 40L round keep cool 'gatorade' style esky. This would keep the weight down a lot, and could also double as a mash tun if you are into AG. The keg would sit higher than the top, so you could not put the lid on, but you would need to play with the gas regularly any way.
Keep us updated on how you go.

if you wanna calculate the amount of gas needed: Lager, Pilsener and some Ales need around 5g per litre, Weizens around 7g per liter.

So it depends on the preload how much gas you have to add.

I would say the final product would end up pretty heavy by the time you finish. PVC of that diameter is thick walled.

That would look pretty good with a trolly attached to it so you could wheel it around at parties with you.

Think you're forgetting the need to carbonate the beer. Once carbonated you only need gas to push it out of the keg so a bulb will work, but not to carbonate. If you naturally carbonate the beer in the keg by adding priming sugar (the same as bottling) then effectively you only need to use a bulb to pour. Search, lots on info on here re carbonating in the keg.

AHB member Deadly from Perth has a very nifty setup similar to what you suggest, but you'll have to search for it yourself.

Just get a wheelie bin (http://www.justwheeliebins.com.au), probably get 2 kegs in depending on the size, fill with ice and you're good to go. You can even put a font on the top or a tap out the front.

Was asked (well, volunteered) to bring down a keg for a wedding tomorrow. Just slapped this together, it's a bit rough and ready but will do.
portakeg.jpg
Just have to put keg of B-Saaz lager (which is tasting pretty good) in place of empty keg, add bulb and fill with ice and i'm away
The best bit is when any conversation gets to "So you're a homebrewer, is it any good?" I've got the product right there.

took 2 kegs to a party a few months back, just stuck them in my rectangular esky each with a bronco and filled the space around the bottom with ice. Worked a treat B)

Where would you get such large PVC pipe in such a small piece? Certainly not retail.

Where would you get such large PVC pipe in such a small piece? Certainly not retail.

Your right, no retail would sell you this size pipe by the meter, 6m full lengths, and the price would count most people out. You would need to find someone that is likely to use this pipe for irrigation supply. Large vineyards or irrigated pasture, 100 -200 hectares minimum, that may have off cuts.
I have a few off cuts lying around, I will have to have a closer look next time I drive past the pile.

I'm working on large scale piping systems in my current job, and even for a million litres a day flow they only use 200mm polyethylene...

I'd be surprised if anyone used 350mm PVC for any type of irrigation. I've only ever come across small polyethylene. But you learn something new every day.

I'm working on large scale piping systems in my current job, and even for a million litres a day flow they only use 200mm polyethylene...
I'd be surprised if anyone used 350mm PVC for any type of irrigation. I've only ever come across small polyethylene. But you learn something new every day.
I have a couple of projects that are using pipe this size. One project has overhead irrigation used for frost control. Another is a 350 hectare drip irrigation vineyard.

The wheelie bin setup works great ...

pics

Post 426 /page 15.... the link should take you there....

cheers

How have the wheelie bins been insulated? Expanding foam?

Back