Popping Of The Ag Cherry Today!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewl

Reaction score
Woohoo! Finally doing my first AG! Heating up the mash water at the moment while i have a coffee. Hopefully all will go to plan today and will have a good beer at the end of it! :D

Good stuff, I'm sure it'll go fine. What ya makin'?

Basically modelled on DSGA... But a slight change to the grains.

2.8k JW Ale
800g JW Munich 1
400g JW Wheat
300g Caramunich 1

Hops and yeast all the same

Make notes mate. Thats all I can say.

Already have a pen and some paper handy... Hopefully hit all the targets (well close enough will be good enough) first go.

Woohoo! Finally doing my first AG! Heating up the mash water at the moment while i have a coffee. Hopefully all will go to plan today and will have a good beer at the end of it! :D

Congrats andrewl, welcome to the dark side, keep us posted on the proceedings. Remember, no beers until the bittering hops are in the kettle :lol:

Cheers,

Screwy

good luck, don't forget photo's, are you doing BIAB or multi vessel ?

My first attempt (BIAB and 2V) hit about 65% efficiency (it's degraded t0 55% now though :( ), it looks like your working on 75% efficiency ? So you may have a lighter beer or top up with same ldme.

is that what I do wrong, I do beer at Mash :)

Congrats andrewl, welcome to the dark side, keep us posted on the proceedings. Remember, no beers until the bittering hops are in the kettle :lol:

Cheers,

Screwy

Cheers,

Screwy

that was definately my downfall on my first ag :chug:

That was also my downfall :) hence being a AM brewer now.. mind you 6 coffees before midday also stuffs you up.

Oh and dont forget to turn off your taps :)

that was definately my downfall on my first ag :chug:

Just mashed in. Down by 2 degrees! <_< But smelling bloody good!

@ mxd: Its a 3 tier... With blankets wrapped around the outside of MT... Didn't have time to insulate it properly yet... Just needed to brew!!!

Have a 40l roband urn... 50l coopers mash tun and same with the Boiler.

No beers at all today, have to work this arvo

Good luck Andrew....hope it's a trouble free maiden voyage :)

Cheers Ross

Just about time to sparge... Knocked the sparge water temp up a couple degrees to make up for the 8-9 degree drop I had before.
Been taking pics too... Just need to work out how to scale them down so I can post them up on here.

Already have a pen and some paper handy... Hopefully hit all the targets (well close enough will be good enough) first go.

Close enough is bang on. A good thing for the notes is one of those kids excercise books - keeps everything together in one place - 1 page per recipe.

Been in the kettle for about 5 mins... Had right amount of sparge water!!! That was surprising!!! 1.032 in the kettle... Should hopefully hit expected gravity of 1.046

Just about time to sparge... Knocked the sparge water temp up a couple degrees to make up for the 8-9 degree drop I had before.
Been taking pics too... Just need to work out how to scale them down so I can post them up on here.

Assuming you are using windows, a quick way to scale them down is to email them to yourself (select all files, right click . send to , mail recipient) It will ask you if you want to make them smaller. There are also size options.
There are many other ways, but I find this the quickest.

Gregor

Good luck mate. Shame about not being able to have a beer though :(

Edit- Instead of resizing your pics, just set your digi camera to 3 to 5 megapixels. They upload straight away. Too easy, works for me.

Just ran out of gas!!!! What can I do??? What can I do??? Expletive!!! Back into the urn for the boil!!!
Smelling good now!!!!!!!!!!

Just ran out of gas!!!! What can I do??? What can I do??? Expletive!!! Back into the urn for the boil!!!
Smelling good now!!!!!!!!!!

Put lid on and get some gas!

Your on the boil so that will kill any nasties!

Lesson?

Check your gas supply before brewing! :lol: Don't worry I have done the same thing <_<

Back