Pop-up / Scareware Opening Windows From Ahb

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1227445208608ge8.jpg

;)

I think that's a perfectly good analogy for Windows........looks good and shiney,costs a fortune, is bigger and more complicated than necessary, gets blunt fast, expensive to replace blades and on a good day rips out more bloody hair than it cuts off.....but HEY....it gets rid of the hair..... :huh:

Two years using Ubuntu here, never had to even contemplate recompiling a kernel.

Made the switch because I was sick of the virus', spyware, and six-monthly rebuilds of Windows XP. Don't even get me started on Windows ME Professional Vista.

We run Windows on the server, cause we're a .Net Development house, but Ubuntu is ideal for desktops/notebooks for its stability, speed and good looks.

Only down-side, need to dual boot to play games :(

Unfortunatly its not the fault of Linux that games wont play..most are written on the win platform

Eventually, the more mainstream games will be made for Linux...

But I also have a view that things like Xbox, PS3 and Wii will eventually take over from Win.

A lot of the bigger and better hardware makers are coming on line with proper drivers for their products.

I also like Ubuntu,s speed, stability, security ( nothing like having to type in your pwd 400 times a day when installing or changing things :rolleyes: )and ease of use...unfortuantly I still have dedicated programs that wont run in Wine...but Virtual box takes care of them...

HAHAHAHA!!! Bowling Pin. Priceless. :beer:
While the war rages on...

Linky

If Microsoft didn't push DirectX on game developers we would see more games that run on Linux. Probably. Besides, Linux has games... what's wrong with TuxRacer?

A lot of you linux guys are, inadvertently, helping make my argument for me. To whether or not I can be objective, of course I bloody can. I'm not a blind fanboy jumping to the defence of my beloved operating system in interwebs arguments. This is my carefully considered, qualified opinion after extensive assessment of both sides of the argument. The last distro I used was ubuntu feisty. I know there've been a few revs since then, but I can't imagine it's changed out of sight. This gave rise to my comment that distros are getting better with point and shoot config, but it's not there yet. It worked fine, looked pretty and ran happily, until I wanted to go beyond user use - soon as you want to do any real configuration, anything you'd have to go into administrative tools in windows for, it reverted to the same old complicated text strings of the linux we know and love or hate. Trying to get mythtv running on it with a fairly basic hardware set was like pulling teeth. That box is now running media centre - for all its irritating lack of configurability, it just works. Something which sits beside your television should always "just work".

You're all agreeing with me about driver support and games. Some things have driver support, plenty of things you have to either learn to live without, come up with kludgey solutions around WINE, or dual boot or virtualise. Whatever the solution ends up being, you spend an awful lot of time poking it with sticks trying to get it to work. Dual booting and virtualisation kills the financial argument you folks are so fond of. But lets be honest, plenty of people who use windows full-time or part time pirate the thing anyway.

If it was really as good as you folks think it is, it wouldn't need the white knights to defend it so vigorously. It would be a clear, simple answer to just about everyone's operating system needs. At present, and for the foreseeable future, that's windows.

<snip>
If it was really as good as you folks think it is, it wouldn't need the white knights to defend it so vigorously. It would be a clear, simple answer to just about everyone's operating system needs. At present, and for the foreseeable future, that's windows.

Seems like this might wind down soon, so I'll try to bring it slightly back on track (I'll get there) ...

Above is laughable. Even if Linux were infallible, you would have trouble getting it onto everyone's machines - Microsoft has better marketing. Microsoft has money - I don't just mean that they have a lot, they have some at all. Open Source = No money.

You complained that you wanted to configure linux, and that was too hard. What were you trying to configure that was easier in Windows? MythTV (from what I can see) had precompiled debian binary packages. Download. Install. (or point it in the right direction and apt-get build-dep mythtv) If it's not available at the moment, that's hardly the fault of Linux. Open source means that at some stage it will be compatible. There doesn't appear to be a Windows version. What do you do if your Windows version of a program doesn't work? You have no chance of it working in the near future. What if it doesn't work under Linux - you have a good chance of finding out WHY and fixing the problem.

As for a clear, simple answer - sure. Windows is clear and simple, as long as you don't want to do anything that they don't put right in front of you. And you don't mind that other people more experienced also find it clear, simple, and easy to break into.

I personally keep my front door unlocked at all times - it's too much trouble to find a key every time I want to get in. Having the door open and unlocked makes entering my house clear and simple. Therefore that's the best solution. :blink:

What I'm surprised at is that one thread on this forum has people flaming those who don't want to go to the extra effort of customisation to get a better product by control of every aspect of the process. But that's the AG thread. Then this thread is [has become] about keeping it easy, preconfigured, and "simple." You've got megaswill right there mate.

Peace out!

Yes...Windows=Megaswill

As for Vista......being around and working with a LOT of IT/Engineers....XP is the go

M$ spent a lot of hype on Vista...and created a dog....

My Ubuntu can out perform Vista, with less RAM, less HDD space and a slower CPU...go figure...

So far, Windows 7 looks, behaves, and performs almost exactly like Windows Vista. And it breaks all sorts of things that used to work just fine under Vista. In other words, Microsoft's follow-up to its most unpopular OS release since Windows Me threatens to deliver zero measurable performance benefits while introducing new and potentially crippling compatibility issues.
So... The future's looking... Good? I'm not going to push this even further OT. :ph34r:

Are we nearly done with this yet? We can carry this over to overclockers if need be.

As for the OP - I hope all worked out well Thirsty Boy (though, if you're dl'ing linux, you'll be right).

Heh heh heh... Bowling pin. Priceless!!! :lol:

Edit: Drunk Punctuation.

well as a matter of fact.....

I managed after downloading the Malwarebytes program that was suggested here and also changing my virus checker to avast.. to clear the damn thing out of my machine.

I thought I was pretty well protected - running AVG and Spybot S&D... but after about 5 full scans each, finding and removing a couple of things that should never have made it past their respective resident scanners (grrr) and them declaring my puter clean as a whistle... problem still present.

Malwarebytes does a scan and comes up with no less than 14 infected items, two trojans and two worms spread over a few different dlls and reg entries. MWB cleaned it up and now the PC is running better and the annoying prick of a virus is gone.

As for installing debian on my laptop..... also not a great sucess. The guy who was helpng me has burned a corrupt copy of the install cd.. nearly all there but not quite enough. So much tit farting about in the text/command screen ensued, and then it didn't work.

Ubuntu wont play on my laptop (not enough RAM) tried, failed. So at the moment I am downloading the iso for the alternative less graphic install... it might work. If not - I will try xubuntu the text based install.

All this when my laptop runs win98SE perfectly well, but I want a bit more power - linux is supposed to give you more bang for your given level of computing grunt, but I cant get it to even load atm... hell, XP installs on this laptop, it runs like treacle, but at least it goes on in the first place.

We will see, I shall reserve my linux judgement for after I try the alternate install and/or the xubuntu version.

thanks to the guys who started out with the very useful solutions to my problem. I appreciate it.

Thirsty

Back