Polyclar & Bottling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaseH

Reaction score
I'm thinking of giving Polyclar a go to get rid of the chill haze I'm getting. By all reports it appears to work well, but most of the info I have found on the forum is from brewers who keg. Does anyone bottle and use Polyclar? I'm wondering if it also causes yeast to drop out and possibly delay carbonation in the bottle?

No problems if using the larger size Polyclar VT - just add it, wait a couple of days and then bottle.

The few times I used polyclar, I had no issues with extra carb time.

The best solutions to chill haze to my mind are: extended lagering/cold conditioning and most importantly - don't drink your beer at tits freezing temperatures.

There'a also supposedly forming good cold break and separating that from the fermenting wort but I never bother.

I use polyclar and I bottle...
I dont normally have problems with chillhaze and it works great as a general clarifier...

Normally I add the polyclar, wait 2 days and bottle...
2 weeks in the bottle with carbonation tabs and it all works swimmingly. Cold, clear, and carbonated :)

Confirming the above, I've never found it to effect bottle carb times.

However, I have always seen it come through into the finished beer (even when I tried it as a kettle addition as per discussion elsewhere on ahb). I just don't care enough about my beer's clarity to look at the little grainy bits through the clearest beer I've ever made. Would definitely use it lots if I were filtering.

I used to use Polyclar VT in primary fermenter during cold conditioning, always left it for 5 - 7 days then bottled straight out of primary, never had any bits in the finished beer.

It does work better with filtering i have found, but for me there is a flavour sacrifice, so i only do that for kegged beers that will be served elsewhere,.

These days i am only using Polyclar Brewbrite in the kettle and thats it! Gives pretty good results without filtration that i am more than happy with.

Edit: Oh yeah and polyclar has no effect on yeast at all. I found better results if i let the yeast drop out before using it - cold condition for a few days then polyclar, then condition for a further 5 - 7 days.

Polyclar attracts polyphenols which are negatively charged
Finings such as gelatine attract yeast particles which are positively charged

So they are two different mechanisms.

Or maybe it's positive and negative in that order

whatever

:p

Cheers guys I'll give it a go. I read somewhere that doing a protein rest during the mash can help, but its a bit awkward to do step mashes on my system currently. I'm also too impatient to do extended cold conditioning. So figured I'd try the polyclar.

Brewbrite - sounds interesting.

Back