polishing stainless

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_Mick_

Reaction score
Could someone please give me a run down on how to get stainless kegs all nice, clean and shiny looking? Recommended products/methods?

There was a bit of a mention in this thread, although I'm sure there's more specific threads on it.

I used a couple of polishing wheels in a drill for mine. Bungings sell them with a coarse and soft wheel in two sizes and two different compounds (about $40 iirc).
If the kegs are beat up, use some fine wet and dry and water or crc first. Then use the coarse wheel with dark grey compound followed with the soft wheel and white polish.
That was my method anyhoo. Took me about 45 mins per keg with a few breaks here and there.

Cool. Well if I'm stuck home this weekend due to the shithouse weather in Coffs atm may aswell get my gear all shiny like.

waggastew said:
Like this Camo6?
That's the brand Waggastew. They look like the small wheels though. There was a kit with both small and larger (maybe 4") wheels for a bit more from memory.

Oh, wear PPE obviously and long pants to save scrubbing the polish off your legs!

As the guys have said it depends on the condition of the stainless you start with.
DSCF1551.JPG
This was started with 80 grit and then progressively finer to 400 then Medium and fine scotch brite wheel then polishing gear. all available from the big green shed.
20141129_133648.jpg
The result of many hours work.

worth it I recon.

MB

Yes well I believe my current back problem can be traced back to this keggle. On the bright side the 12% belgian it produced is easing the pain.

MB

P.S. The 3v this was part of sold last month

Back