Polishing Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markws

Reaction score
Dear All,

I have been doing a reasonable amount of research in preparation to build a brew stand. While surfing the internet I stumbled across a home brew thread covering polishing kegs. I had become quick anoyed with the build up of wort at the base of my converted boil kettle from boilovers. So, I was keen to remove these 'stains' from the keg and determine how effective this technique would be to improve the look of the several other kegs i will be preparing to used on the new brew stand shortly, as they are in fairly poor condition.

The author also went on to create a youtube video on the topic and trialed several Caswell products which I was then surprised to find that they were available in Australia (Vic). I ordered the black buffering compound and 3 x 4" Sisal wheels to trial and see what type of result would be achieved.

I have attached a couple of pics - red boxes - polished, yelloe - not-polished.

End result - happy with product. It is fairly quick to do. I beleive it would take about an hour to polish each keg. Only down side - the 'old' angle grinder gets a reasonable work out and polishing cream did end up all over the place, but i would not let these two minor issues stop anyone from having a go.

Total cost including freight - a tad over $40.00

Contact details - speak to Paul Davies. [email protected]

keg1.JPG

keg_2.JPG

keg_3.JPG

keg_4.JPG

hmm shiny. i stared polishing my rig but the effort just wasnt worth it IMO. esp since i then insulayed the hlt and tun and you cant really see any stainless. kegs maybe. but some of that orange cleaner stuff that stinks from the supermarket does the trick pretty well for minimal effort and cost.

oh and all that effort with red and yellow boxes and no attemp to cover up the lionnathan markings? tsk tsk tsk

edit: whats the plastic thingon the end of the ball valve?

The 'plastic thingon' the ball valve is a polysulfone quick disconnect. See retailers such as the craft brewer, more beer etc for more information on this product.

Markws,

Welcome to the shiny side my apprentice

Franko

brewery.jpg

Latest posts

Back