Pluto Gun Problem.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yardy

BI3V
Reaction score
Gday All,

Just noticed yesterday that after pouring, a steady stream of bubbles is running back to the QD. :eek:
I've checked and tightened the hose clamps, also the problem is occuring on both Kegs so it's definitely the Gun that is playing up.
Halfway through a pour it will 'cough' (for want of a better word) like the keg is about to blow, (both Kegs are full btw).

cheers

yard

Gday All,

Just noticed yesterday that after pouring, a steady stream of bubbles is running back to the QD. :eek:
I've checked and tightened the hose clamps, also the problem is occuring on both Kegs so it's definitely the Gun that is playing up.
Halfway through a pour it will 'cough' (for want of a better word) like the keg is about to blow, (both Kegs are full btw).

Possibly gunk in the lines or a seal inside the gun not sealing properly maybe.

gary

Gday All,

cheers

yard

Hey Yardie,

Not a faulty gun, if your gun was leaking, the beer would be dribbling out, it's under positive pressure, that's just CO2 coming out of solution in your lines.

cheers Ross...

To stop this from happening, you've got to keep the temp of the gun the same as the rest of the system (the beer). That means putting it in the fridge when not in use.

Hopefully that will stop the problem, cause it's a real shit.

sam

Hey Yardie,

Not a faulty gun, if your gun was leaking, the beer would be dribbling out, it's under positive pressure, that's just CO2 coming out of solution in your lines.

cheers Ross...

Oh ok, would that cause the 'coughing' whilst pouring ?

cheers

Yardy

Should only happen to the warm beer in the line. Basically the beer "coughs" as colder beer comes from the keg it seems to equalise itself. Ross and Sam have pretty much put you in the picture. ;)

Warren -

Ok, just poured a beer and it's getting worse, there's airlocks in the beer line that seem to be constant when pouring, that tells me that it's sucking air somewhere or am i wrong ?

yard

Is the pluto gun kept in the fridge with your kegs? How long is your beer line, what pressure is your reg at?

In theory Yardy. OTOH if there was any air getting drawn in there'd most likely be leaks also.

Warren -

Ok, just poured a beer and it's getting worse, there's airlocks in the beer line that seem to be constant when pouring, that tells me that it's sucking air somewhere or am i wrong ?

yard

Not possible mate - Think about it, the line is under positive pressure (stick a pin through the line & it'll spurt everywhere). It's not air, just CO2 coming out of solution. Have you had your beer with the gas connected while you've been away? If so, at what pressure & at what temperature?

Cheers Ross

Ive had a similar problem before. Try upping your pouring pressure in the keg.

If the pressure in the keg is too low the gas comes back out of the beer and forms pockets in the line. By upping the pressure a little this gas stays disolved in the beer eliminating the problem.

If your using 5mm beer line have your line length 3.2 metres. Any shorter and your beer will pour too fast.

If this doesnt fix your problem have a read at

http://www.micromatic.com/

This site has all the answers.

Not quite true Ross. If the o-ring between the dip tube and keg is leaking. CO2 can leak from the headspace in the keg into the beerline.
Yardie I assume since it is happening on both kegs that this is probably not the problem... unless they were both not put back together correctly. Check the ball lock is screwed up tightly and the o-ring between the dip tube and keg is intact.
I'd say your beer is overcarbonated. After a pour some CO2 comes out of solution in the beer line due to pressure drop of the previous pour. This pocket of gas sits in waiting until you pour your next beer.... etc
Just my thoughts... Really need to know what your keg pressure is and length/type of line your using though

Asher fro now

I had this problem and found that I had over pressurised the keg. Try burping the keg until the bubbles in the line stop forming at the pluto gun.

Thanks for the replies, the Gun lives in the Fridge along with the kegs, I'd say the Beer Line is approx 1200mm in length, the Keg was force carbed about a month ago (I don't get home very often :angry: ), reg is 9 psi pouring pressure, just poured another, the Beer Line is hanging in a loop and within 30 seconds or so it had 2 airlocks about 150mm long, one at the Gun and the other at the QD.

I've had this setup for awhile and have been very pleased with how it's worked, never a problem until now.

yard

Not quite true Ross. If the o-ring between the dip tube and keg is leaking. CO2 can leak from the headspace in the keg into the beerline.

Asher fro now

Asher, that may well be true, but if you read Yardies first post he says they are forming & running back to the QD. Hence my comment, it can't be a leak...

cheers Ross

Thanks for the replies, the Gun lives in the Fridge along with the kegs, I'd say the Beer Line is approx 1200mm in length, the Keg was force carbed about a month ago (I don't get home very often :angry: ), reg is 9 psi pouring pressure, just poured another, the Beer Line is hanging in a loop and within 30 seconds or so it had 2 airlocks about 150mm long, one at the Gun and the other at the QD.

I've had this setup for awhile and have been very pleased with how it's worked, never a problem until now.

yard

BUMP.

Changed the QD, pulled the Pluto apart and cleaned it, no change.
Not happy Jan.

not sure if this will help or relevent but your beer line for a pluto should be double the approx 120mm length.

:ph34r: Think you're cursed Yardy. I used a Pluto for around 7 years before changing to taps this year. Can't say I really ever had a problem. Pluto's the most failsafe bit of kit you can get. :eek:

Only other thing I can think of is there could possibly be an obstruction in your diptube or post/poppet valve? :unsure:

Warren -

not sure if this will help or relevent but your beer line for a pluto should be double the approx 120mm length.

So i should be looking to up the length of the Beer Line to about 2 1/2 metres ?

Warrenlw63,
You may well be right mate, only use the bloody thing 4 times a month !

Might be time to talk to Ross about a couple of Cellis B)

Oh well.... Coopers Stubbies it is then :chug:

Cheers for the advice guys.

yard

Latest posts

Back