Please Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first All grain is made. It look very light in EBC but came in at 1.052 OG,taste very biscuity The best I could bring it down to is 22c for the bitch of the yeast, it is 25c in Perth at 6.00pm

just pitched the yeast of my first AG today in perth also!

What yeast? I also made an english type bitters :)

I used Danstar Nottingham, I followed the instructions to rehydrate yeast. 30 deg c and gave it a stir. Fermenter was in fridge and was 24 degrees when yeast joined it, probably also about the same temp. About 1 hr later fermenter was down to about 20-21, and 30mins later 18.

You using a fridge to ferment in? i reckon coming into a perth summer it is requirement almost!

Good luck with the brew
D80.

14 g Coopers Brewing dry Yeast, for years I've done it between 22 -26c with Concentrate brew. If I put it in fridge my wife would Divorce me.

George,
you either need a new wife or a second fridge mate :)

Fridge will cost you 4/5ths of f*ck all. Could even get a bar fridge if space is an issue.
Well worth it mate. Set temp on controller and return in 10days or so to check hydro. Takes the stress out of fermenting - unless there is a power blackout! (in that case all the sh!t my mrs has frozen in the freezer will be sacrificed to the fermenting environment - for the greater good of course.

Sorry to derail topic, i will behave now.

Cheers,
D80

14 g Coopers Brewing dry Yeast, for years I've done it between 22 -26c with Concentrate brew. If I put it in fridge my wife would Divorce me.

no problem, just be sure you get the fridge in the settlement :icon_chickcheers:

I am currently using an icebox to ferment in. it was like $100 on ebay and they had a pick up point in WA. It fits a 25lt willow fermenter with glad wrap and takes one freezer block that I got from bunnings (about the size of a piece of a4 paper and a few cm's thick. to keep it at about 18 i change it once a day. if you wana get down to lager temps chill the cube prior to pitching and it will be easier to maintain. its def not a long term solution but uses next to no power and works really well plus when your not fermenting it doubles as an ice box.

I am currently using an icebox to ferment in. it was like $100 on ebay and they had a pick up point in WA. It fits a 25lt willow fermenter with glad wrap and takes one freezer block that I got from bunnings (about the size of a piece of a4 paper and a few cm's thick. to keep it at about 18 i change it once a day. if you wana get down to lager temps chill the cube prior to pitching and it will be easier to maintain. its def not a long term solution but uses next to no power and works really well plus when your not fermenting it doubles as an ice box.
+1

I'm doing something similar with a 100ltr esky. fitts two fermenters and with a top up of water and a 1.25 bottle of frozen water I can keep it sitting between 19c-20c. Problem is that has to live in the bathroom and i just built a toilet on Satyrday into the area it lived

time for me to shell out for a thermostat!

let me get this right mate........... you put a dunny in place of our award winning fermentation area!!!! bro there was something about that special place in your bahtroom that the esky sat in. it kept temperatures perfect. oh well, another place lost to reno's hey!!!!

Where did I go wrong, I followed the BrewMate program to the letter, fermenting has stopped today, OG 1.004 The EBC was no where, where it should be if lucking the EBC is 1 maybe 2 and the Taste is like a dry biscuit. So please tell me how I fucked it?

edit - just read "My first All grain is made. It look very light in EBC but came in at 1.052 OG,taste very biscuity"

you are complaining about biscuit after the truckload of POR & Galaxy? more info please OP

how vigorous was your boil? can you shed any more light on this biscuity taste? and did the hops stand out at all?

What sort of biscuits are we talking about anyway?

1.004 would be about right with a fair whack of dextrose in the bill. You probably didn't need the maltodextrin in an all grain batch - just pure malt would have done fine.

All i can think is that you've picked up some spoilage somewhere along the line for the taste, as for the color that the calculations were wrong, got poor efficiency (doesn't look like it with 1.052 og though) ?

Not sure how you'd get down to 1-2 EBC, that'd be the palest beer ever - 6 EBC is about a Helles which is very light, around 8-10 EBC would be a standard aussie draught lager/Coopers Pale Ale colour.

was it on the stove and and only blooped once during the boil, or did it boil like a mofo and loose 25% to evaporation?

only asking as my first ever AG was on a weak-as-piss hotplate and the beer afterwards tasted like raw grains (i kinda liked it though, like one would a retarded nephew)

apart from that, i have nothing

did you get a mouthful of passionfruit from the galaxy?

Are you confusing EBC for SRM by any chance?

SRM colour scale is approx half of what EBC is.

ie: 4 SRM is 7.88 EBC

Back