Please Help Me With My Yeast Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Preservatives.... quite possibly. I'll look into that. Thanks for moving it, btw.

As for the calcs, I've got 450g sugar in the cordial, 1kg of brew enhancer and 500g of malt. works out pretty much same as a k&k with 1kg sugar, right?

Ah yes, there are preservatives in the cordial I used. NOW what the hell do i do????

HAHAHA, it's been nothing if not fun!

Ah yes, there are preservatives in the cordial I used. NOW what the hell do i do????

Chuck in another packet of yeast and see what happens. With any luck the preservative is a yeast inhibitor, so it won't reproduce but ~might~ ferment. Put enough yeast in to do the job and you might get a result. It's only another buck, so I reckon go for it.

Preservatives.... quite possibly. I'll look into that. Thanks for moving it, btw.

As for the calcs, I've got 450g sugar in the cordial, 1kg of brew enhancer and 500g of malt. works out pretty much same as a k&k with 1kg sugar, right?

hi, about 700 gms of fermentables less than kk beer.

kk beer 1.7 kg malt + 1kg sugar= 2.7kg of fermentables

compare with yours . .45kg in cordial +1 kg brew enhancer +.5 kg malt = 1.95 kg of fermentables

so, your brew will be less than kk beer.

cheers, alan

Yeah, point well taken, alan.

And as the brew is currently fermenting (albeit very slowly), does that mean that the more yeast I add the quicker it will ferment? clearly the preservative hasn't killed it, as it's creating a yeast cake at the bottom.

Anyone know where I can find out what effect sodium benzoate has on champagne yeast?

Yeah, point well taken, alan.

And as the brew is currently fermenting (albeit very slowly), does that mean that the more yeast I add the quicker it will ferment? clearly the preservative hasn't killed it, as it's creating a yeast cake at the bottom.

Anyone know where I can find out what effect sodium benzoate has on champagne yeast?

hi,

since the yeast multiplies, then adding more yeast should speed up the process.

i tried fermenting "ribena" blackcurrent cordial thinking that i would produce a nice drink, but
fermentation would not start because of the preservatives, or if you know how to ferment it ,then let me know?

cheers , alan

Operating Conditions: Sodium benzoate, like potassium sorbate, is effective only under acidic conditions (preferably less than pH 3.6). Within the food industry, its use is therefore restricted to such foods as preserves, jams, salad dressing, fruit juices, pickles, and carbonated drinks; however, it will functionally work well in the proper acidic conditions, with good dispersion

;) little bit o' research never hurts. But it doesn't necessarily help :(

lol

Operating Conditions: Sodium benzoate, like potassium sorbate, is effective only under acidic conditions (preferably less than pH 3.6). Within the food industry, its use is therefore restricted to such foods as preserves, jams, salad dressing, fruit juices, pickles, and carbonated drinks; however, it will functionally work well in the proper acidic conditions, with good dispersion
;) little bit o' research never hurts. But it doesn't necessarily help :(

lol

hi,
it looks like the ingredient sodium benzoate is used to stop fermentation in products, since potassium sorbate is used to stop fermentation in wines.

cheers, alan

It might not be active yeast you're seeing on the bottom of the fermenter but dead cells and other solids from the mix settling out. This also doesn't necessarily help :)

I just read this thread and am amazed that noone has commented on the 750g of ginger root AND Chilli.

That's going to be an incredibly "bloodwarming" concoction.

I think probably what you should have done was to include some yeast nutrient in the initial mix, that would have helped the little critters to get multiplying. But is sounds like you're on your way now anyhow...

It's fermenting away at about a bubble a minute (albeit there's not much water in the airlock, it's an s-bend one and less water means i can be surer it's still fermenting). So that's a good sign I think, haven't had a taste yet tho. (Yeast?) cake is very thick, and I haven't touched it so I dunno what it is.

I've been trying to figure out how sodium benzoate stops fermentation. Whether it KILLS yeast or just stops it multiplying, I don't know. If it's the later, then presumably I could just culture up a HEAP of yeast and let it do its thing... anyone know?

That fact that it is fermenting is good, regardless of rate. Sit back, relax and let it do its stuff.

This is a good learning curve.

How do you know that your vessel is totally sealed? Is there any leakage? Maybe, maybe not. Many don't use an airlock at all, I only use it as indication, the rate doesn't matter.

3 or 4 days after all action finishes I do a SG to make sure all is completed and time to bottle.

Don't panic :)

Haha, yep, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy had it right all along, Don't Panic is the simple answer to most concerns you may have. haha.

I picked up another packet of yeast today (can't hurt, right?) and I'll pitch it tonight. Fermenter is definitely sealed, it is holding pressure. I'll get it going, worry not.

Thanks all for you help. I hope this helps someone else out down the track.

Latest posts

Back