playing with mash temps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fletcher

bibo ergo sum
Reaction score
hi guys.

i was very lucky to get a grainfather for christmas and so a new world of mash temps have opened up to me, that previously were annoying to do with biab and gas.

i've looked here and at a lot of websites and guides for specific temperatures and rests and what they are used for, but have yet to see something for a very dry beer with good head retention - like a dry rice lager. previously i've used amylaze enzyme on a 1.030 beer (mashed at 64c for 90 mins) which brought it down to 1.000 (the target FG), but it slowly developed an odd taste i wasn't fond of.

i've read mashing low and slow - say 60-61c for 2 hours - gives a very dry and highly-attenuative wort. is it that simple? would it be advantageous to do a short 55c rest for body/head retention before this long sach rest, then head to mash out?

any help or tips or mash suggestions welcome.

I'm so far from an expert but if it were me for head retention and a dry beer I'd do a 54c rest for 5 to 10 mins followed by 62c for 120 mins then 72c for 5 to 10 mins then mash out for 10. 54 and 72 are protein rests

Hey Fletch,

Lucky you, great unit the GF - happy times ahead.

I have always found the benefits of step mashing result in the little things - Head retention, Glass Lacing, ability to be able to produce a dry or sweet beer etc... it is not gonna really change the flavour of any of your recipes, which is a good thing, really.

This is a great read for an AHB thread http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/62204-stepped-mashing-schedules-by-style/ - plenty of other reads outs there.

Hope it helps - report back.

Cheers
C

I just add a 10min rest at 72 deg. It helps with a creamy head of tiny bubbles. I dont brew really dry beers though. About the lowest I ever mash is 65 deg.

+1 to the thread linked above. Read it a few times and still have Cocko's mash profile firmly installed in my PID.

haha love it. cheers cocko, haven't seen that thread in my searching thus far so i'll get to reading and hopefully firmly install your...stuff...into my...stuff. yeah i figured my flavours wouldn't change but wanted to really have a play with dry and sweet and seeing if the head and lacing was better/different at various temps etc. lots of fun :)

thanks guys for your suggestions.

cheers guys again.

once i get around to it (not for a bit i should think with a newborn!) i'll be putting on this one - a big experiment :) any suggestions welcome.

80% pils
20% minute rice
1.035 to (hopefully) 1.001-4ish
60-61/72/75
120/10/10

20 ibu of tettnang at 60 and 5
probably m84 or w34/70 at 10-11c

sexual

EDIT: is there any reason why my beersmith won't change FG when the mash temps are lower than 63C?

52 for 10
62 for 75
72 for 10
78 for 10

Use 15 percent wheat
Saflager yeast at 16 degree.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back