Plate Heat Exchangers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markws

Reaction score
Dear All,

I have been looking at the different types of plate heat exchangers available to us. Interestingly they all seem to have different instructions on the correct orientation require to operate effectively ie the therminator is mounted on its side verus the mashmaster vertically, beer belly . To date I have not found any literature that consistently and/or conclusively indicates the correct orientiation of the material plate heat exchanger.

Comments, thoughts, opinions?

Cheers

MWS

Dear All,

I have been looking at the different types of plate heat exchangers available to us. Interestingly they all seem to have different instructions on the correct orientation require to operate effectively ie the therminator is mounted on its side verus the mashmaster vertically, beer belly . To date I have not found any literature that consistently and/or conclusively indicates the correct orientiation of the material plate heat exchanger.

Comments, thoughts, opinions?

Cheers

MWS
Bloke I think the objective is to have minimal airlocks so at least for the Mashmaster the orientation is for Cooling water to drive down through the unit as the typically larger pressure will drive out more bubbles. The wort should flow in the opposite direction so as it passes through the unit it gets progressively cooler with the freshest water cooling the coolest wort. In the mashmaster this achieved with it being upright. My wort temp is extremely close to my tap water temp so am very happy with the outcome.
Cheers
Doug

It really doesn't matter much. Orientation is important if you're trying to move heat via convection (eg, a heatsink in open air), but in this case, the heat transfer is via conduction (using the plates within the heat exchanger to conduct the heat from one liquid stream to the other). Heat will move from the hot side to the cold side, it shouldn't matter which direction they're oriented.

It may, however, have an effect on how the heat exchanger fills with liquid, and hence whether you have any air pockets. Air pockets will reduce the effectiveness of the exchanger, depending on how many and how big they are. Whether or not you have air pockets depends on the design of the exchanger, the orientation of the plates, etc, which may explain why there are different instructions from different manufacturers. Generally, filling slowly (ie, don't turn on a pump until the HE is full) from the bottom of the exchanger will work best, as the incoming liquid will force the air out the outlet, but following the manufacturer's instructions is probably the best choice - chances are they've considered this problem carefully for their design.

EDIT: if you're not fixing the HE to a brew stand, and the HE works as Doug said (flow in opposite directions), it may be beneficial to hold it one way while filling it from the bottom with the cold water tap at a trickle, then flip it over to fill the wort side. Should result in minimal bubbles.

This is what the craftbrewer site says:

"Mount the ChillOut vertically with the writing on the name plate facing up. For pump and gravity setup to avoid air being trapped in the water flow it is suggested that water out be raised above the height of the water in flow."

Now to me that makes no sense. When the chiller is upright (like in the photo) the water out is on the bottom. So how can it be upright while also having the water out above the water in? It seems to contradict itself....

This is what the craftbrewer site says:

"Mount the ChillOut vertically with the writing on the name plate facing up. For pump and gravity setup to avoid air being trapped in the water flow it is suggested that water out be raised above the height of the water in flow."

Now to me that makes no sense. When the chiller is upright (like in the photo) the water out is on the bottom. So how can it be upright while also having the water out above the water in? It seems to contradict itself....

It means having the water out hose loop back up higher than where the water comes in - this helps reduce air pockets as well. Forget the plate chiller internals for a while and think of it just like a hose, if you run some water down a vertical hose it wont automatically definitely fill up. If you have it bent into a U shape, then it will be full before it starts to squire out the end.

edit: I drew a picture for you as well cos I'm bored lol
chiller.gif

geez sammus, you should apply for the assistant drafty position in the Fully Automated 5 litre Brewery thread with skills like that :p

geez sammus, you should apply for the assistant drafty position in the Fully Automated 5 litre Brewery thread with skills like that :p

I think it's a fantastic drawing, now which ones Daddy?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Batz

Latest posts

Back