Plastic Smell?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reformed99

Reaction score
Only up to brew no 6 so bear with me...
I picked up a 25 litre water barrel and some clear vinyl tube from Bunnings so I can start racking to secondary. Problem is they have a pretty strong plastic smell to them. Will this affect the taste of my beer and, if so, how do I get rid of it?

Wash well with really hot water, dry, and see how they smell.

25 litre water barrel - strong plastic smell

Some people have also said to leave it sit in the sun for a few days to get rid of the smell..

clear vinyl tube

Really should get some Food grade hose.

CB
:beer:

food grade hose... i use the vinyl tube i used to siphon my fish tank with :beerbang:

I have recently bought the same stuff, 12.5 mm tube pre-cut to 2m length? and BMW red top barrel?
I just chucked the racking tube in the fermenter and soaked the lot in a bleach solution over night then sanitised as normal.
I have used it a couple of times now with no smells or taste transferred :icon_cheers:

12.5 mm tube pre-cut to 2m length? and BMW red top barrel?

Almost ;) I got the red top barrel and 10mm tube in the 2m length. The 12.5mm seemed too loose on the tap.

Good to know that smell/taste isn't going to transfer. When I first opened the barrel the plastic smell was enough to make your eyes water and the tube wasn't much better. I've got mine soaking in sodium percarbonate at the moment. Will give it a good hot rinse on the weekend and hopefully all will be good.

Once you have done a brew with extra hops in it you will be hard pressed to ever smell the plastic again. ;)

Back