Plastic Fermenter Taps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UsernameTaken

Reaction score
I am wondering if everyone fermenting in plastic is happy with the regular fermenter taps or uses something else?

I find they often have flaky bits of plastic on the end that beer gets stuck on after taking samples.

Also they can be stiff to open and a pain when the whole thing turns rather than just the open valve.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
UNT

Happy with mine. As mentioned in another thread, I replaced the square section o-rings with round section o-rings and found you can get the tap heaps tighter, which eliminates the tap turning when you're taking samples.

Just hit the flaky bits with a bit of sandpaper.

I got infections from the taps from not pulling apart and cleaning thoroughly. I then moved to a siphon in preference to the taps to avoid the risk of infection. Then moved back to taps as I found I was experiencing the effects of oxygenation from the siphon.

Make sure you pull the taps apart and clean between brews!!

Now moved to stainless, praise the lord :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang:

P!N20 said:
Just hit the flaky bits with a bit of sandpaper.
Don't use sandpaper, it leaves little ridges for nasties to hide in
use a super sharp scalpel and scrape away the dags

Well I just trashed one tap trying to take it apart!

How exactly am I supposed to do that?

Cheers,
UNT

You can rip them apart by getting a blunt rod down it and jamming it on the ground, the centre part will come away from the outer. This does ruin them eventually but they're $2 from bunnings

If you have troubles with this you can also boil them, they're HDPE it won't hurt the plastic.

All good now thanks. I will buy new ones and I have practiced pulling them apart on the old ones!

Sharp scalpel to remove dags and replacing square section o rings with round section!

Cheers,
UNT

UsernameTaken said:
Well I just trashed one tap trying to take it apart!

How exactly am I supposed to do that?

Cheers,
UNT
Put in a pot of warm/hot water to loosen it up. Get a wooden spoon or similar with a blunt end. Bang it on the ground or hard bench while holding the outer part and it should pop right out.

Clean it. then put back into the warm/hot water and bang it back in.

Where are people sourcing the round section o-rings from?

Yeah, I found that taps would never work as freely after taking them apart. So I just rinse them thoroughly, and then steam them on the stove before use.

Might head to craft brewer for one of those snap taps though.....

How are they for attaching hoses for packaging?

Looks like that might be a bit unstable?

Cheers,
UNT

I use the regular taps on my bunnings fermenters, cut the dags with a sharp knife. Pull apart for cleaning and starsan, then hit with keg lube so they turn with ease

UsernameTaken said:
How are they for attaching hoses for packaging?

Looks like that might be a bit unstable?

Cheers,
UNT
The tube from the 'little bottler' goes into them, hose attached to the tube.

Batz said:
The tube from the 'little bottler' goes into them, hose attached to the tube.
Whats a 'Little bottler'?

I thought this might have been a homebrew specific snap tap, because I used to have a snap tap, but it was too small to fit a normal bottling tube into. I drilled it out so the tube fit, but then the seal leaked.

Just use a bit of sandpaper on the bottling wand. I've been using standard taps for ages with no issues other than the standard they shit me issues. Bought a snaptap to try out and man, what a revelation. Love em. Australian made too.

Back