Pizza

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jaysus thats cheap!

Have been looking for one of those cutters and also something to be able to slide the pizza off the bench onto the stone. A small paddle of some sort?

Anyone in Adelaide know where to buy these?
have you got a nice flat brew paddle Doc? duel purpose item.... :)

They have wooden pizza paddles in the local catering/hospitality supplies shop here, $20-$30 for a 30cm one. If they have them here in hicksville they should have them in Adelaide. Bit smaller and more expensive than I wanted so I bought a piece of Portapanel about 45cm x 120cm for about the same price and will shape two paddles from it.

I bought a wooden paddle at one of those kitchen stores. Robins Kitchen or something like that. does the job. I coat the paddle with coarse semolina and then assemble the pizza on that. The semolina helps the pizza slide off the paddle onto the stone.

I bought a wooden paddle at one of those kitchen stores. Robins Kitchen or something like that. does the job. I coat the paddle with coarse semolina and then assemble the pizza on that. The semolina helps the pizza slide off the paddle onto the stone.

That's what we do too, although we got a paddle with the pizza stone, either the one that came with the oven or another one we bought somewhere..

Jaysus thats cheap!

Have been looking for one of those cutters and also something to be able to slide the pizza off the bench onto the stone. A small paddle of some sort?

DrSmurto

Gaganis have an all metal version of the the pizza cutter. I haven't found a decent place for paddles in Adelaide yet.

Cheers
Pedro

DrSmurto

Gaganis have an all metal version of the the pizza cutter. I haven't found a decent place for paddles in Adelaide yet.

Cheers
Pedro

Thanks Pedro.

I have been avoiding going there for years now. Way too easy to spend money there.

But i need something to transfer the pizza to the stone, last nights effort was pitiful. A perfectly round pizza base ready to be plonked on the stone but in the short distance it had to travel it got twisted and stretched and looked terrible.

Jaysus thats cheap!

Hay Drsmurto go have a look down that Creative Cook on south Rd just south of castle Plaza in the new home maker centre on the left hand side of the road. I was in there today and they 3 or 4 different size paddles and the the stainless cutter.

The sandstone paver on the barbie got its first work-out last night.
Finally nailed the dough after a few attempts. I found I was using less flour than Jeff Varasano and Fornobravo state. My dough ended up about 480 gm flour, 320 ml water, 10 gm salt, 3 gm yeast.
I only got to about 300 C according to hood thermometer but WAY better results than a 250 C oven.
I made 1 batch of dough 2 days before and the other batch just a couple of hours before. I intended to do a comparison but in the heat of battle they all got mixed up. The fresher dough was easier to work with but that was probably because I got the mix just right.

Now some tips for new players, i.e. me.
Don't be overambitious with the size of your first pie and make sure you have enough flour on your peel. First one ended up as some sort of doughy sausage roll.
Keep wiggling your peel on the way to the BBQ and it'll slide off like a pro.

Just need to work on my streching now.

Bellissimo

The sandstone paver on the barbie got its first work-out last night.
Finally nailed the dough after a few attempts. I found I was using less flour than Jeff Varasano and Fornobravo state. My dough ended up about 480 gm flour, 320 ml water, 10 gm salt, 3 gm yeast.
I only got to about 300 C according to hood thermometer but WAY better results than a 250 C oven.
I made 1 batch of dough 2 days before and the other batch just a couple of hours before. I intended to do a comparison but in the heat of battle they all got mixed up. The fresher dough was easier to work with but that was probably because I got the mix just right.

Now some tips for new players, i.e. me.
Don't be overambitious with the size of your first pie and make sure you have enough flour on your peel. First one ended up as some sort of doughy sausage roll.
Keep wiggling your peel on the way to the BBQ and it'll slide off like a pro.

Just need to work on my streching now.

Bellissimo

View attachment 38828

Tossa :p .

16062010320.jpg

Has anyone tryed making pizza base with beer yeast? I've got no idea if it would work or not, but thought it sounded like a pretty cool idea. Why not wash some yeast, and use that as the water/yeast for the pizza?

Has anyone tryed making pizza base with beer yeast? I've got no idea if it would work or not, but thought it sounded like a pretty cool idea. Why not wash some yeast, and use that as the water/yeast for the pizza?
pretty sure its been discussed somewhere in the thread.
so has using beer instead of water.

pizza making day yesterday with the kids after ive been interstate for work. good excuse to enjoy drinking, cooking and for the kids to make a mess,

usual suspects
smoked ham, pineapple, cheese + same with egg
pumpkin, cream cheese basil

then....bbq meatlovers: smoked ham, cabana, chizoro sasuage, salami, cheese, tomato sauce base, homemade bbq sauce on top. :icon_drool2:
p1.jpg

another margarita, with olives and fresh tomato. yum. a good homemade tomato sauce is the key and has now made the margarita a favourite if the sauce is good.
p2.jpg

the stainless steel mash paddle got a working out doubling as a pizza paddle.

the dough was near perfect. and I brushed all of them with some rosemary/garlic oil i made about 3 weeks ago.

If anyone is interested I picked up a couple of 30cm pizza stones at Essendon DFO yesterday .
Set comes with crappy cutter and a simple wire stand.
Two shops opposite each other , same stone set. $15 in one and $10 in the other . Marked down from $40. There were heaps . Am in the process of giving them and the hooded BBQ a test run

MB

If anyone is interested I picked up a couple of 30cm pizza stones at Essendon DFO yesterday .
Set comes with crappy cutter and a simple wire stand.
Two shops opposite each other , same stone set. $15 in one and $10 in the other . Marked down from $40. There were heaps . Am in the process of giving them and the hooded BBQ a test run

MB

standstone paver, 6 bucks. double width sandstone paver 12 bucks. big enough todo two pizzas on a 4 burner bbq and available from bunnings! :icon_cheers:

Left over smoked pulled pork, spanish onion, semi dried tomatoes and home made bbq sauce.
Cooked in a hot weber with a little bit of hickory smoke, just to get that wood fired taste. Worked a treat!

11274230.jpg

60477893.jpg

Mate, that looks fantastic.

+1 wish I had not looked at the pictures now.

As a buyer of McCains perfection frozen pizzas ( when they are on special ) heated in normal oven.
Any suggestions for a decent shop bought pizza. Single bloke microwave trained cannot be arsed wasting valuable time cooking things up from scratch.

+1 wish I had not looked at the pictures now.

As a buyer of McCains perfection frozen pizzas ( when they are on special ) heated in normal oven.
Any suggestions for a decent shop bought pizza. Single bloke microwave trained cannot be arsed wasting valuable time cooking things up from scratch.

Just buy yourself some nice flat turkish bread or wraps (cant remember the exact name) and build your own pizzas and cook in oven as normal.

Latest posts

Back