Pitching Temperature And Method

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yob

Hop to it
Reaction score
Hello all.. Im quite new to all this so will keep this breif. Melbourne brewer trying to get it right this time... My first attempt ended up in a yeast pitched at about 30'c and needless to say was a furious but short lived life for those little fella's.. erm... picking the hottest week of the year was a good lesson.. (I could go on with other blunders I made but life is too short)..

Question. I have access to a dis-used fridge and will adopt the methods described in other sections of this site to maintain a steady temperaure next time and am cool with that (Ha Ha).. But..
Is it ok to say have the bulk (20L) of my water cooled in the fridge and then add the other 3 of diluted contents to that, mix, check temperature and then pitch yeast or must I dilute in the Drum and add the water? Simply a question of methods I guess.. Thanx for any help I can get in this.. A tricky tricky (and thouroughly exciting) time of learning in my life.. Chrres

Hello all.. Im quite new to all this so will keep this breif. Melbourne brewer trying to get it right this time... My first attempt ended up in a yeast pitched at about 30'c and needless to say was a furious but short lived life for those little fella's.. erm... picking the hottest week of the year was a good lesson.. (I could go on with other blunders I made but life is too short)..

Question. I have access to a dis-used fridge and will adopt the methods described in other sections of this site to maintain a steady temperaure next time and am cool with that (Ha Ha).. But..
Is it ok to say have the bulk (20L) of my water cooled in the fridge and then add the other 3 of diluted contents to that, mix, check temperature and then pitch yeast or must I dilute in the Drum and add the water? Simply a question of methods I guess.. Thanx for any help I can get in this.. A tricky tricky (and thouroughly exciting) time of learning in my life.. Chrres
i boil my extracts in roughly 4 litres of water,pour that into the fermenter then top up with water from the tap or tank.
i dont see any probs doing it the other way round as you asked,just make sure you splash the contents when adding them to help airate the wort to help with fermentation.
also go with yeast rehydration it makes a big difference.....cheers......spog.....

Back