Pitching Onto Yeast Cake Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keifer33

Reaction score
Ok sorry if this has been asked many times before but Im gonna ask again.

Got a beer ready to bottle tomorrow and want to put another brew down straight away. My question is when you pitch straight back onto the yeast cake what do people do as far as sanitising the fermenter? Im planning on bottling as much as I can then tipping the fermenter slightly to removed the remaining liquid. Then drop the next brew straight on top. Would it be advisable to spray no rinse or am I crazy for thinking so and just expose the fermenter to the elements for the shortest time possible.

Thanks razz knew it would be as simple as putting in the wrong search. Now for some light reading.

Are you re-pitching from a cube?

I know it may seem like it doesn't matter but just interested to know how you plan on it?

If i'm re-pitching I leave around a third (or even less) of the yeast trub behind and just re-fill (no cleaning if its a similar beer).

If i'm re-pitching I leave around a third (or even less) of the yeast trub behind and just re-fill (no cleaning if its a similar beer).

I think I will use this method this time as I dont have heaps time for this brew. Will attempt the whole washing thing when I start using liquid yeasts and really want to save them.

If I'm brewing a lager, I'll usually pitch directly onto the entire cake. For ales, I'll tip most of the yeast out, then pitch onto what's left. When I say "most", I'd say that I tip out about 3/4.

The advantage to this method is that you don't have to sanitise the fermenter again, and you don't handle the yeast directly.

I was thinking of doing the same next weekend, so would you say you leave about half a cup for ales

I was thinking of doing the same next weekend, so would you say you leave about half a cup for ales

Sounds about right. In my experience, the more yeast, the cleaner the fermentation (less esters), and vice-versa.

Just put down the brew on the cake so will see how it all goes. Was a semi-half arsed brew which normally isnt a good start but was just a trial on some easy drinking middie. Also had a stalled mini brew in another fermenter so dropped some in there to try and kick start it.

Latest posts

Back