Pitching Onto An Existing Yeast Cake - Tips?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just as The Smashed Semite mentioned - half a cup of slurry is the recommended and max pitching rate.
Pitching onto the whole cake will possibly cause an excessively energetic fermentation and can also affect the flavour of the beer.

Half a cup of slurry (that is the same temp as the wort) into a well aerated wort (vital step, energy reserves of the dried yeast are now depleted) for a warm fermented beer (16-24*C ferment) is all you need.

Double the pitching rate if pitching a cold fermenting yeast into a sub 16*C wort (9-15*C ferment).

Aerate by pouring the cooled wort vigorously from one fermenter to another.

tdh

Can you also, bottle a batch and just tip a newly mixed wort on the whole yeast cake in the fermenter you just bottled from?

So could you have a wort ready to rock in Fermenter 2, bottle fermenter 1 and the just scoop half a cup from 1 to 2??

Or do you need to bottle and let it separate in the fridge?

Many thanks
Cocko
:icon_cheers:

Just use the slurry at the bottom of the primary fermenter.

tdh

So could you have a wort ready to rock in Fermenter 2, bottle fermenter 1 and the just scoop half a cup from 1 to 2??

Or do you need to bottle and let it separate in the fridge?
Nope, do exactly as you have suggested.

I know others say a full trub of slurry is too much and it will ferment too quick but my choc mahogany porter that I pitched onto the Coopers Irish Stout trub/yeastcake has worked beautifully.

Not too hot (max 18c) and not too much bubble and a great aroma. Whatever works for you I guess, but if you want to do a trial you will find plenty of people who have had good success just pitching onto a full yeast cake.... Search the forums for "yeast cake"...

Thanks heaps gentlemen.

I have a couple days to decide but either way I decide - "I am going in"

Do it. I suggest if you go onto the whole yeastcake make the beer stronger or as strong as what was in there....

IE: don't throw a lager onto a stout or a cerveza onto a dark ale, I reckon that would mess with the flavour quite a bit. Go a stronger beer into the yeast cake, that's my advice.... :super:

Back