Pitching Kit Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ooh and +1 for cling wrap

do it you'll never go back to that useless piece of kit called an airlock
they show you nothing ,(use your hydrometer) and trap bacteria, if you move you fermenter they can suck back scungy water into your brew
only thing worse for harbouring germs than an airlock is a lid and grommets
( unlike a lid, you can see through cling wrap)

Chuck em both
IMHO

I don't want to head to far off topic here but a couple of replies here have suggested ditching that damn lid/airlock .

It's got me a bit curious and would certainly be willing to give it a go . So obviously with the cling wrap & black O ring rubber band on top , the CO2 ( i think it is) produced during fermentation can't escape as it would normally out through the airlock . Just trying to picture it i guess .

If that's the case , then are you saying that CO2 doesn't necessarily HAVE to escape ?

May sound like a silly question , but you don't learn if you don't ask .

Cheers all .

I don't want to head to far off topic here but a couple of replies here have suggested ditching that damn lid/airlock .

It's got me a bit curious and would certainly be willing to give it a go . So obviously with the cling wrap & black O ring rubber band on top , the CO2 ( i think it is) produced during fermentation can't escape as it would normally out through the airlock . Just trying to picture it i guess .

If that's the case , then are you saying that CO2 doesn't necessarily HAVE to escape ?

May sound like a silly question , but you don't learn if you don't ask .

Cheers all .

The co2 will find a way to get out, with glad wrap and the o-ring it's not a totally seald vessel, but it's seald enough to keep the nasties at bay

Latest posts

Back