Pitching Coopers Yeast Straight From Bottle.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barrg0

Reaction score
:rolleyes: Hi Brewers,
Ive just finished putting down my next batch of CPA. This time Ive cultured some yeast from a couple of stubbies as per Enerjex instructions and seemed to work well. Only time will tell now. However, I was wondering what with all the posts regarding culturing CPA yeast whether you could bypass all the preparation of culturing the starter as opposed to just pitching the dregs of say two stubbies of CPA directly into your wort. Is there anything wrong with that?

Cheers.

:rolleyes: Hi Brewers,
Ive just finished putting down my next batch of CPA. This time Ive cultured some yeast from a couple of stubbies as per Enerjex instructions and seemed to work well. Only time will tell now. However, I was wondering what with all the posts regarding culturing CPA yeast whether you could bypass all the preparation of culturing the starter as opposed to just pitching the dregs of say two stubbies of CPA directly into your wort. Is there anything wrong with that?

Cheers.

Yes, it will be too much for the yeast to handle, and there is a good chance that wild yeasts will take over the fermenting before the Coopers yeast gets a chance.
When you make a starter, you are giving the yeast a chance to multiply into an amount that will quickly take over fermentation of your wort. (I think)

You can't be sure of the cell count in the dregs so you will likely stress the yeast... problems here can be long lag time, excessive ester production, proneness to infections.

It might work, if you pitch an entire case.

Latest posts

Back