Pitching 10 Hours After Boil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbo5253

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am brewing an extract brew tonight but by the time i finish the hop boil, I am not going to have time to chill it enoug to pitch.

My question is, can I pitch the yeast in the morning before work?

If so should I...

Leave the boiled wort with all the extract in the pot with the lid on and add to sterilised fermenter in the morning bring up to 21 litres and pitch?
or add everything to the fermenter and bring up to 21 litres tonight, let cool and just pitch the yeast in the morning?

Cheers

Robbo

What i'd do is duck down to the servo/supermarket and grab a bag of ice, sanitise fermenter as usual, a few minutes before boil is done dump the ice in the fermenter and when done pour your wort over it and aerate it like a something until the ice is all melted. Depending on your boil volume it should get it pretty damn close to pitching temp... From memory when I was doing ~10l boil a 4kg bag of ice would give me a final temp of 16 degrees after topping up with tap water.

Thought about that Rudi, but local servo is too far away, and not real sure on how sanitised there ice would be!

commercially made 'drinking' ice is clean, probably cleaner than regular tap water. i've never had an infection from it and used it tons of times. i've also (when i could be bothered) made up big ice blocks in plastic containers using bottled water - but i found the ice cubes were way more efficient in bringing the temp down, surface area and all that garb.

if getting ice tonight isn't really an option, i'm not sure what presents the least risk of infection, if it was me i'd put the hot wort in the fermeter and top up with tap water, just give your sanitiser plenty of time to work i guess and be extra careful. part of me wants to say leave it in the pot (lid on while still boiling for a few mins to sanitise lid), however i think this will muck with your hop additions.

robbo i freeze a 4 lt ice cream container of water and add it to my cold top up water before i start, and by the time im ready i get rid of the ice block and add the water normally a pitching temp of about 22

I've done similar before no issue. It might depend on weather and conditions around you area but as long as it's covered I reckon the risk is minimal (not absent but certainly acceptable).

I would tend to leave it in the pot with the lid on.

Pitch tomorrow morning.

Or - depending on the size of your pot, dunk it into the sink (kitchen/laundry) in an iced water bath or just water. This should drop it a fair bit before adding to fermentor.

Get the yeast going in a starter tonight with some sugar and luke warm water...

Im sure it will work out fine though.

Dropping your pot into a sink full of cold tap water should bring the temp down fairly quickly. I do mine this way in about an hour using three or four water changes.

Thanks for the fast replys everyone! I remembered I had half a bladder from a box of water frozen flat in the outside freezer, have broken that up and put in there, temp is down to 34, so will be able to pitch tonight!

Note to self: Dont try and do a brew witha 10l boil on the stove top on a week night!!

Cheers and Beers

Robbo

Get your self a cube from bunnings or a Fresh wort kit from the local hbs.

Pour the boil into the cube either directly or into the cleaned fermentor and via the tap into the cube.

On goes the lid , give it a shake and you can keep it like that for weeks , some say months before pouring back into the fermentor when your ready to pitch.

BOG

A lot of people recommending pouring hot wort in this thread (well 2). My beers have never stayed around long enough to suffer oxidation but I always assumed that was a no-no?

Latest posts

Back