Pink Neo cleaner - issues if not rinsed properly?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I rinsed fermenter with Pink cleaner Chlorinated Trisodiumphosate - very weak solution... it was clean but just making sure, and then use no rinse sterilizer... After I put in wort (Doing a second fermentation), I wondered if I had rinsed after properly. I think I did but then I am doubting myself. My mind was focused on keep the yeast, thinking about get other stuff right...urghhh...

I put in no rinse sterilizer in then tipped out last remains of liquid. It was a very weak solution of pink cleaner.

I then added 23 l of wort on top of it, but was wondering if this could be an issue with killing anything, like the yeast?

Thanks

Anything chlorinated can interact with yeast and create medicinal flavours from chlorephenols.

Only one way to find out. When rinsing, use very hot or boiling water - heat removes free chlorine very rapidly.

Sodium metabisulphite will also remove it - that does also need rinsing and carries its own potential set of drawbacks.

This has happened to me twice recently. Did not rinse properly.

Beer fermented fine, but end product has a distinct chemical/chlorine flavour. The upside seems to be that longer in the keg, whilst not completely removing the flavour, appears to have at least toned it down to drinkable levels.

Now I'm insane about rinsing after using Pink.

I have used PSR to clean my fermenter and bottles since I started

I have always rinsed 3 times with tap water to be sure

having said that how many bugs are in the well chlorinated water in Sydney , and how much chlorine

my beers are all stove stop and are taken to the boil , for hops etc

but then after adding my brew to the fermenter , and bringing it up to 25 litres with tap water

only had one failure in 213 batches and that was with a can of store bought goop which I had kept for a while and I think it stalled with old yeast

So why do you all still use PSR? There are other alternatives like sodium percarbonate that work just fine. There are many reasons why I wouldn't let chlorine anywhere near my brew or my SS gear.

GalBrew said:
So why do you all still use PSR? There are other alternatives like sodium percarbonate that work just fine. There are many reasons why I wouldn't let chlorine anywhere near my brew or my SS gear.
It serves a purpose. It's good at the end of a kegging/bottling session to give the fermenters a quick rinse and throw in hot water and PSR, (and any other taps etc that need a clean) leave it for 48 hours and it removes all the sh1t with minimal effort.

Clearly it then takes more rinsing at the end, as I've found to my detriment, but this now tends to happen during the boil on brew day when I'd otherwise not be doing much anyway and I have hot water available easily.

That said, if I have any more issues in this department, I'll be switching to sod perc.

Sodium percarbonate cleans things up spotlessly, is cheap and rinses quickly. The upside is there is no flavour negative compounds. Also PSR will damage stainless in the long run. I can't see why anyone would use it.

Yeah, the pink stuff is way too risky in terms of flavour contamination and results in ridiculous water waste when you try to get the stench out. I use 100% sodium percarbonate now, but I did find a good use for the pink powder I had left over. A tiny bit of that pink stuff left in the toilet overnight will get it shiny clean!

Back