Pilsner temp control over weekend...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skelly22

Reaction score
Hi All- hopefully a quick question-

I pitched a cubed pilsner last Tuesday eve with the S-189 slurry from another batch. My temp control is a storage tub wrapped in blankets with 2 or 3 bottles of ice replaced morning and eve, which keeps it at 11-13 deg quiet steadily.

However, this weekend I am away from Friday eve to Sunday eve. Would it be best to put the whole thing in the fridge and send the yeast in to hibernation, or should I let fermentation continue knowing that it will warm to about 18-19deg here in Coffs Harbour for the weekend?

I think best option is go the cold side and allow to warm up slowly to 12 deg when I get back.

Cheers
Shane

So it'll have been in there for 10 days at that point. If it's close to your estimated FG on friday then I'd be inclined to let it warm up for a d-rest.

stienberg said:
So it'll have been in there for 10 days at that point. If it's close to your estimated FG on friday then I'd be inclined to let it warm up for a d-rest.
Hi Stienberg- by last Tuesday what i really mean is just 2 days ago!! i find my pils take atleast 3-4 weeks of primary ferment before iI D-rest, so it is very young!!

I'd be letting it warm up regardless, it's S-189 it loves summer (18c).

QldKev said:
I'd be letting it warm up regardless, it's S-189 it loves summer (18c).
Agreed, it should be a slowish ramp up while your ice melts off so it should be fine (and take care of your D-rest).

Thanks guys- il give that a go then- i will stick a couple extra ice packs in this arvo before I go and maybe an extra blanket over the top!!

cheers

Not to high jack the thread. I but is there an automated controller for fermenting. As in a step ferment. For controlling gradual increase and decreases.

No answers here, but get yourself down to Country Brewer in toormina next weekend for the Coffs Region Amateur Brewers meeting :)
We're doing an Oktoberfest brewday, there will be plenty of tasty treats too

djar007 said:
Not to high jack the thread. I but is there an automated controller for fermenting. As in a step ferment. For controlling gradual increase and decreases.
Temp only went up to 15/16 at weekend so not too bad. Put 4 bottles of ice in Friday and they held well

Cheers for the advice

sp0rk said:
No answers here, but get yourself down to Country Brewer in toormina next weekend for the Coffs Region Amateur Brewers meeting :)
We're doing an Oktoberfest brewday, there will be plenty of tasty treats too
Spork- I am hoping to make but not certain yet. What time are you guys planning? I will bring a few amber and red ales to sample!

At this point it will be starting at 9 or 10am, just gotta get confirmation on that yet

After talking to Matt, we're gonna go for a 9am start just to make sure we're not there until it's dark with 2 of us doing AG brews

Latest posts

Back