Pilsener

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macccc

Reaction score
I would like to do a Pilsener this winter from kit extarcts, does any body have a good recipe that they swear by?
B) B)

here are 4 receipes from AHB members. I personally have made the muntons pils and am planning on making the ACT winning Pils next week. From your post im not sure whether your after 'kit' pils or 'extract' pils. these are kit and pretty easy to alter and play around with.

Prize winning ACT State Championships 2000 Pils.
Morgans Golden Saaz
1 kg of dextrose
S189 Yeast.
BPrimary for 2 weeks - rack and dry hop with 25gms of Saaz pellets for 4 weeks.

Muntons Pilsner
The Muntons Connoisseurs Export Pilsner,
1 - 1.25 Kg of Muntons Light Dry Malt Extract,
dry hop it in the rack with a plug of Czech Saaz.
good Pilsner or South German Lager yeast at the appropriate temperatures.

If you dont have temperature control, the yeast under the lid is made by Saf, so use it 16-20 C and dont waste money on a yeast upgrade.

Brewtus's Pislner
Morgan's Pils Tin
Coopers BH1
40g Saaz Hops
boil 3lt water with 20g hops for 10min,
add 20g more and boil for 5 min more. Take off the boil. Chuck in a Cooper's BH 1 and the kit and chuck it in the fermenter with good lager yeast.

ESB Pilsner
ESB 3kg Czech Pilsner
S189 or W34/70 yeats (if brewed in cold)
Or use SO4 or US56 and brew at ale temps and make it a psuedo lager.

yep cant go past the muntons,very nice for me

Thanks for the recipe! I will tell U how it goes :super:

A Coopers Pilsner from the brewmaster range with a kilo of light liq malt & some Hallertau hops, is easy & V V Good. Otherwise the Morgans is pretty good

Hi Markus,
I use this when I don't have time for AG, comes out pretty good for a kit.
Cheers.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: No time for AG #04
Brewer: rough60
Asst Brewer:
Style: German Pilsner (Pils)
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (0.0)

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.70 kg Morgans Golden Saaz (6.0 EBC) Extract 50.0 %
1.50 kg Coopers Light Extract (3.3 EBC) Extract 44.1 %
0.20 kg Melanoiden Malt (39.4 EBC) Grain 5.9 %
20.00 gm B Saaz [6.70%] (20 min) Hops 9.5 IBU
20.00 gm Mt. Hood [4.20%] (20 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)Hops -
3.00 tsp Gelatin (Primary 2.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs Saflager German Lager (DCL Yeast #W34/70) Yeast-Lager

Mash Schedule: None
----------------------------

Notes:
------
Boil B Saaz and malt extract for 20 mins.
Steep melanoiden and Mt Hood for 20 mins.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

edit:spelling

Hi Markus,
I use this when I don't have time for AG, comes out pretty good for a kit.
Cheers.
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: No time for AG #04
Brewer: rough60
Asst Brewer:
Style: German Pilsner (Pils)
-
3.00 tsp Gelatin (Primary 2.0 days) Misc

Gelatin???? really? primary for 2 days? can you please explain cause the rest of the bill looks great. keen to make another pils soon.

Thanks for all the replys we must compare all of these recipes?
I'm going to start with the Muntons Pilsner then the others latter.

My local Home brew shops dont have the 1-1.25Kg Muntons light dry Malt extract but they have the 1kg dried malt extract Bintani is this a problem, do I have to stick to the recipe?
if so were do U guys get your kits? I live in Sydney south
Thanks
Markus ;)

Markus, homebrewing means that you make/break the rules and then you live with the result.
Sometimes it's a great beer and sometimes it's not. I have made great beer with the Bintani DME, but U might want to buy 2 X 1 kg packets and use the recommended 1.25 kg of DME.

Sounds like a good recipe, but feel free to tweak it and then come back and change it again next time.

Good luck and let us all know, on this thread, how it comes out.

Beerz
Seth :p

P.S. You can make great weizen with DME and wheat DME and a little bit of noble hop, and weizen yeast, of course. But that can wait until Summer, ay?

Yeah Gelatin for finings, after about 7 days I put a belt on for diacytel (spelling?) rest and add gelatin. I don't worry about racking kit beers.
Cheers.

The Muntons recipe started at SP 1040 and ended at 1020 has something gone wrong or should I just bottle it?

The Muntons recipe started at SP 1040 and ended at 1020 has something gone wrong or should I just bottle it?
IMHO the brew has stalled. FG should be well less than 1010. Temperature?

Hopefully you used the Saaz hops. They are a belter!!! :chug:

my muntons pils receipe OG was 1.012. so I'd say yours has stalled. gentle try and move the yeast at the bottom around without aerating the beer. you can do this by either gentle rolling the fermentor around on its edge or by opening the lid and using a sterile longhandled spoon to gently stir up the yeast on the bottom. maybe raise the temp a few degrees if your brewing at low temps.

I should also say that I left my pils in the fermentor for 20 days @ 10C (incl a 3 day diacytel rest @ 16-18C). brewing at colder temps takes longer.

Started last week wendsday 11th at 16deg went OK till Thursday try bringing the Temp up to 19deg no change?
been 1020 from tuesday 17th this week

Started last week wendsday 11th at 16deg went OK till Thursday try bringing the Temp up to 19deg no change?
been 1020 from tuesday 17th this week
I'd go with the gentle stir option I mentioned above. sounds like the yeast may have gone to sleep a little. If it still doesnt drop by the weekend then you can either try pitching more yeast or bottle. I'd personally tend to bottle rather than pitch more yeast.

Back