Phenolic Issues

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunbrew

Reaction score
Hi All,
After tales and feedback about phenolic.

In my case I bottled 2 longnecks from the keg of my 1st ever comp beer and left them sit at room temp.
One went to the comp with high hopes, the other stayed with me.
When I got the results 18 and 21 and both judges score sheets said phenolic, I opened the beer and tried it.
Yep, medicinal type flavour that I now know to be phenolic...
Had not noticed it in the beer from the keg and it seems to have intensified in the bottle.
Since then my taste buds are highly aware of any medicinal type flavour in my beer and I was shocked to realise the phenolic was in my last 3 batches and no one had noticed.
One of those stories you hear about with an issue that is not noticed by the brewer, or in this case the multiple people who share my beer...
Since then I have been reading up on phenolic and attempting to eliminate the cause.

Then I made my latest batch of beer using American ale yeast and there was no problem.
Turns out the 3 batches of beer that had the phenolic issue were when I used the re cultured white rabbit yeast.

I was reading the world brewing academy on pro brewer.com where they say "We have, as yet, never analysed a beer which gave zero readings for Chlorophenols and phenols. From this it is assumed that all beer have a small concentration."

Seems there are multiple causes and types of phenolic and mainly it's the concentration that determines if you will or wont taste it.
My 1st fear was that it was some sort of infection, In this case I'm guessing it's my re-culturing of the yeast that has been the problem, only because I seem to have escaped the issue by using a different yeast.
Cheers.

I've just got a score sheet for a club comp and phenolics was one of the many many reasons why the beer was bad. This in conjunction with solvents, estery, alchohol and maybe one or two other descriptors pointed at yeast health. I had pitches a stubby of saved trub from a previous batch. I thought that as it was about a cup worth of trub it would be fine, but it wasn't. From now on I'll make sure to rinse the yeast first for storage and then put it in a starter to ensure I'm pitching the right amount of healthy yeast.

Latest posts

Back