Phenolic In My Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lokpikn

Reaction score
I have been having a problem in my last few brew to phenolic in my beer i am quite confident that it is coming

from my chlorine based cleaning/sanitizing product i got from my local chemical supplier. I,m wondering now

how would i remove this smell from my fermenters and all traces of the product. I read that boiling water in

my fermenters may work but i,m now on the line of turning to a non chlorine based cleaner like plain

bleach that lots of people here use. Do you think bleach will remove chlorine as i dont wont to replace all my

fermenters. :(

I'm pretty sure bleach is basically chlorine. So bleach probably won't remove the chlorine.

A rinse with hot water should get rid of the chlorine, the smell might hang around, but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

My guess is your using the sanitiser at to strong a concentration, maybe? So review your concentration of current sanitiser, or switch to an alternate sanitiser.

I'd recommend a no-rinse sanitiser over bleach, like iodophor, star-san, brewshield, and the many others (lots of acid based ones). They work quicker (1-5 min contact times) than bleach, and you don't have to rinse - very convenient. And no phenolics.

Have a search on sanitisers, lots of very good info out there.

Thanks for the information sam

I done a search and read a lot of old posts and it looks like i will be going to use a non smelling

nappy cleaner and see how it goes. I will use my two hand held elements in my fermenters and boil them

for a a few minitues each and see how they come up.

Its quite a shame i did not know this would happen i now got 7 full kegs with this flavour. I could not tell it in the

first few kegs there was a faint hint but not enough of it for me to tell but the last few i kegged today are quite

strong. I dont know if my mates will want to drink it looks like i will be drinking on my own foe a while. <_<

I find it hard that they will drink vb and new and not complain about dyectel but will complain about my

last few batches

:( :( :(

Back