Pet Bottle Storage

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bribie,

A mate of of mine has some 2L grolsch bottles. Not sure exactly where he bought them but it was somewhere in Sydney. not sure about any 750/660ml ones.

Chris

This maybe a silly question but!! Can you reuse the plastic caps from PET bottles or do you have to buy new ones each time.

Also can you use any 2L softdrink PET or are some better then others

And one more if using the carb drops how many do you use for a 2L bottle

The caps can be reused multiple times. (which reminds me - the long term ones I had that went flat, that I mentioned earlier....the vast majority of them were brand new caps. There were a couple of bottles that had re-used caps, and they were no worse off statistically.)

I think one softdrink bottle is much the same as another as far as its usefulness for storing beer.

If using bottles that are not size multiples of 375mL, ditch the carb drops, it's just too hard. (but imho, ditch the drops anyway. ;) ) But, if you must use the drops, use 5. But bulk priming is much better, then it doesn't matter what size bottles you are using.

The caps can be reused multiple times......

True, but I would recommend that you keep each bottle and cap "married" together till death they do part. I botle exclusively in 2 L PET which are all identical ALDI Regal Cola.

Early on in the piece I got smart and developed a super quick cleaning and sterilizing regime in a large tub where the bottles and caps got separated. Why worry, they are all identical, right?

I then started to get one or two flat bottles in every brew. You can tell when they are leaking from the cap because after a few days of conditioning you can see a ring of fizz on the 'meniscus' of the bottle and the PET feels softer than its peers.

I eventually weeded out the dud bottles and rebottled in 'trusty' bottles and have had few problems since.

Don't know how PET bottles are produced but clearly the lid and 'seat' are aligned at manufacture time in a molten state and then mirror each other at microscopic level therever after.

Well that's how I would do it :p

Don't know how PET bottles are produced but clearly the lid and 'seat' are aligned at manufacture time in a molten state and then mirror each other at microscopic level therever after.
I use (almost) exclusively the Coopers PET bottles and the Coopers caps and have never had a problem with dud seals. I just put all the bottles and caps in sanitiser and pull them out at random when bottling. Maybe (surely not?) there is something different about the ALDI bottle caps?

I've never had any issues with interchanging caps on the bottles (but keeping to the same type, ie coopers on coopers) for any of the shorter storage periods (6 months or less.)

But I have read several different people that have had similar issues to you, Bribie. I have no idea what is going on there. Seems odd to me.

I use (almost) exclusively the Coopers PET bottles and the Coopers caps and have never had a problem with dud seals. I just put all the bottles and caps in sanitiser and pull them out at random when bottling. Maybe (surely not?) there is something different about the ALDI bottle caps?

Ya gets what ya pay for :p
In the case of commercial supermarket soft drink PET bottles they are churned out by the billion. Literally. The Coopers bottles are no doubt the 'craft' version of the mass produced stuff. I fully realise that, so I'm always on my guard. B)

Latest posts

Back