Perlick Flow Control Taps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm off to the US on Sunday for 2 weeks... think I might buy me some (more) taps ...

No, you don't have to.
The Perlicks fit the (sub-)standard KK shank just fine. I did exactly the same thing this week.
However, the quality of the KK shanks do not come close to those offered by Craftbrewer.
Getting the shanks off and back on to the font can be an exercise in frustration, especially if you have big hands, and don't happen to have a 27mm open-end ring spanner handy :)

Not discounting the craftbrewer shanks as they have been noted to be far superior based on reviews but for that price (actually less inc shipping) you can get 100% stainless contact shanks landed at your door. which I'll happily mate to my stainless perlicks.

When i eventually get the rest of my gear assembled I'm going to invest in one of these stainless shanks and give it a test drive side by side with the crappy* keg king shanks and compare flow etc.

To have the ability to fill comp bottles direct from a 100% stainless contact kegerator sounds great to me. There is some minor concern about how sanitary the shanks are in the current tower and the ability to harbour bacteria etc but the long term plan is to keep this (sub-)standard KK tower for portable setups anyway.

In case anyone is thinking about changing the keg king kegerator over to these taps, they fit no problems and are a great improvement to the pour.

Qldkev, i just orderd the perlicks. Are you saying they will go straight on to my keg master kegerator( looks like your picture) without having to change the shanks and spacer etc?

No, you don't have to.

The Perlicks fit the (sub-)standard KK shank just fine. I did exactly the same thing this week.

However, the quality of the KK shanks do not come close to those offered by Craftbrewer.

Getting the shanks off and back on to the font can be an exercise in frustration, especially if you have big hands, and don't happen to have a 27mm open-end ring spanner handy :)

I've just had a bash on my triple font and they don't fit properly. I have a single high tap then 2 lower taps, which means the far right tap can't close properly due to the restrictor on the top tap. Ahh well, new font it is long term but short term - 2 taps only.

I also didn't get them to seat properly (barely threaded on one of the taps) using the KK shanks.

Is your triple font a Keg King one, or the better one Craftbrewer replaces the crappy one with?

Mine is the craftbrewer one, and the 3 perlicks fitted no problems with no spacers or hitting.

QldKev

Yes, the Keg King shanks are crap.

There is nothing wrong with their font, imho. It bolted straight on as a replacement for my 2 tap font.

20120518_144746.jpg

As you can see from the pic, there's plenty enough clearance between each tap for adjusting the flow controller.

Post pics, we'll see if there's a noticable difference.

Just purchased 4 x flow control tap (545PC - $29.50 each) and 1 x SS tarnish free push back creamer tap (575SSTF - $47.10) from the Perlick website.

Shipping to Australia was $240 so i had them shipped to a workmate in the USA who will carry them back in a few weeks.

All i need now are some kegs....anyone in VIC looking to part with kegs that are no longer needed?

BlackRat

Stout tap, 4" SS shank, barbed tail piece and postage to Sydney, total cost $114 from the beer tap store. Bargain. :beerbang:

Ive got 2 545pc and shanks being posted to my uncle in West Virginia.....it was $10.60 to there and hes gonna send them on via UPS which is $46

Yes, the Keg King shanks are crap.

There is nothing wrong with their font, imho. It bolted straight on as a replacement for my 2 tap font.

20120518_144746.jpg

As you can see from the pic, there's plenty enough clearance between each tap for adjusting the flow controller.

Post pics, we'll see if there's a noticable difference.

Found the issue, will need to replace 2 of the shanks. They have angle brackets on them which put them either too close or in a position where they can't both fit in on the sides.
Ordered new shanks instead.

how much was shipping to your mate?

$11.

I didnt order the shanks because i havent worked out how thick my fridge is yet.

I'm assuming i can order these domestically at a later stage.

BlackRat

sorry to say but you'd pay 2-3 times as much to order just those locally. It is sad because they are all imported, by the Americans and also by Aussie shops, yet, the price difference is stupid.

sorry to say but you'd pay 2-3 times as much to order just those locally. It is sad because they are all imported, by the Americans and also by Aussie shops, yet, the price difference is stupid.

Yeah true but i can always order them from the USA once i find a fridge to put them on.

Whoever is the importer for Perlick needs to understand that the world is now totally accessible to shoppers and by setting mammoth prices domestically, they are hurting their own wholesale business as customers will find other methods to paralel import their products at much cheaper rates.

BlackRat.

http://www.thebeertapstore.com/Complete_4_...mbly_p/sk04.htm

http://www.thebeertapstore.com/Perlick_545...cet_p/bf008.htm

44.95 for the tap and 19.95 for 4" SS shank here. 3 times in oz for the shanks. silly difference. 50% more would make some sense! 300% is just weird. I paid 47-48 bucks shipping for 3 taps and 3 shanks.

I mean, if a retailer were to import in bulk at that price on a pre-order sort of basis, it'd still be cheaper than 300%

Btw, the Perlicks store won't even show shipping for Australia, seems its been monopolised!

/end rant \Start hating

I'm in the USA now, even I can't order from the Perlick site since I don't have a US credit card (must have local address) and they don't accept paypal.

ACCC has shown a mild interest in the some retailers forcing their US suppliers to not offer shipping to oz and others to keep their prices inflated.

I'm in the USA now, even I can't order from the Perlick site since I don't have a US credit card (must have local address) and they don't accept paypal.

ACCC has shown a mild interest in the some retailers forcing their US suppliers to not offer shipping to oz and others to keep their prices inflated.

My order was placed today with a Australian card from the Perlick site - shipping to a USA destination.

Ok , thanks for that... will give it another go !

Latest posts

Back