perfect temp control with gas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mb-squared said:
Yes, it is surprising at how little detailed info there is. But if you troll the web enough, you'll see that a lot of people have done it, they just haven't bothered to let the rest of us know how they did it. I am so happy with my system that I hope to roll out the details of how I put it together and how I use it over the next few months. As for the exact parts you need, please see the links in this post (which is above):
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/78566-perfect-temp-control-with-gas/#entry1143624

If you take the part numbers from each bit there and match them up against what you find on different sites (like Amazon), then you'll be fine.

Cheers,

matto
Thanks again mate,

I'd def be interested your write up, particularly with your control box. I've seen heaps of people using pid's but I'd love to see how you use a Web based controller and how it's wired up etc

stretch69 said:
Thanks again mate,

I'd def be interested your write up, particularly with your control box. I've seen heaps of people using pid's but I'd love to see how you use a Web based controller and how it's wired up etc
I have now written a follow-up to this post over here, where I describe how I wired up the gas valve with the BCS. Hopefully it is helpful.

If you ever need anything from the US and they don't ship to Australia you can always use ReShip (google it). I've used them a couple of times and they are fast and not that expensive.

Love this build mate. I am building something very similar. You wouldnt happen to have any schematics up on the wiring for you system ? Just fyi I am building a single tier herms sys using 75 liter SS Stout tanks I drug in from the states. Like you because of cost and location of my brewery I have to go gas even though all my tanks have ports built in for elements. I really want to go with a bcs 460, but may go all manual till I work up the cash for a fully auto sys. Do you have electric fluid valves as well ? Anyhow I may have to pay you for design rights as I may be copying your entire Brew Rig !

Hi Brewtrekker, I have written about how to wire up the gas valve with the BCS in this post. I do not use electric valves, just plain old manual ones. Best of luck and feel free to pester with questions if needed.

Cheers,

Hey MB -squared
I am leaning more and more towards gas now since rewiring my house for a 32a plug for electric brewing is a crazy expensive add on to an expensive brewery build. One question how much did you spend on your gas valves ssr and transformers all up. Plus why didnt you go with the BCS-462 vs the 460 ?

Hi brewtrekker, looking back through this thread it appears (see post #12) that I said you could get all the critical bits and pieces for ~$250, but I'm not sure anymore. I provided a bunch of links there, but don't know if they are all still live.

As for going with the BCS-460 over the 462, can't remember. Probably cost :) I'm a cheapskate extraordinaire! As it is, the 460 controls my brewrig as well as my 2 fermenters, so not sure I'd need the extra ports available on the 462. But if I did want more, I'd probably go with 2 460s so that I could have one dedicated to my brewrig and then one dedicated to my non-rig needs.

rambling on a bit, but hopefully it is helpful?

So just so I know how does the 460 run the fermentors are they in a brew fridge ? With heat pads as well. Yep Im with you on the el cheapo rig as much as the e-brew people say its cheaper its only so after you spend big dosh on a 3 phase power or 32 amp plug. At least with gas you can brew anywhere you have ventilation and a gas bottle.

Ive read up on a few of these gas controlled temps.

Is there one that controls flow depending on demand for example 1 to 12v.

Also is the Honeywell ones the best.

Just wanted to let people know that I now have all the gas control components of this system up for sale. I'm asking $225 for everything:

2 4-ring burners with high pressure regulators
Honeywell valve with 24V transformer
Pilot light with lpg conversion
all the hoses needed as well as the sediment trap
A 24V pilot light and SSR
I could also include the toolbox "control panel" if you'd like.

Basically everything you need (minus the kettles) to get up and running.

pick up only in Sydney's Northwest.

Cheers,

matto

Just giving this a bump. I had someone who said he'd take it so the whole kit is packed in bubble wrap and sealed up in a box and ready to ship. The burners (see here) by themselves cost more than I'm asking for the whole thing and I'll even pay the first $50 in shipping fees. Just want to make sure it ends up in the hands of a brewer at this point.

Cheers,

mb-squared said:
Just wanted to let people know that I now have all the gas control components of this system up for sale. I'm asking $225 for everything:

2 4-ring burners with high pressure regulators
Honeywell valve with 24V transformer
Pilot light with lpg conversion
all the hoses needed as well as the sediment trap
A 24V pilot light and SSR
I could also include the toolbox "control panel" if you'd like.

Basically everything you need (minus the kettles) to get up and running.

pick up only in Sydney's Northwest.

Cheers,

matto

Appreciate you sharing and would be very interested in seeing a write up with lessons learned/things you'd do differently etc. Also a massive thanks for your amazing willingness to answer everyone's questions and sharing your clearl great knowledge in this area.

Mate you will have to get into the habit of checking post dates and if you don’t recognise a poster look at their profile. In this case the original post is from 7 years ago, the poster hasn’t been seen for the last 4 years so; odds on you won’t be getting an answer from him anytime soon.

You might be stuck with doing a bit of research for yourself; there are a few good combustion equipment suppliers around who might be able to help.
If you do find anyone or some really good equipment, it might be worth starting a new thread or tagging onto this one with what you learn.
Mark

Not sure about an electrically controlled regulator/valve but I have found these guys helpful and reasonably priced for industrial gas gear.
Auscrown
Mark

Kudo's Matto,
It's great to see someone else's experience in building a gas-fired home brewery with great temperature control that results in excellent efficiency. For those using gas, there are some very helpful tips here. That BCS-460 and Honeywell valve sounds like the ticket to first class.

After doing close to 50 batches on a 3-tier Blichmann gas system I could never really dial in the numbers as well as you. So much heat was lost from the stainless steel 15 gal pots as well as residual heat from the burners. Then I had the nasty side effects of drafts. There were also times when I had to deal with the dreaded yellow flames which blackened pots and burners. I know there are workarounds for all this and if I still had gas I would take much of your advice. I'm looking to build a new system from the ground up so for me the choice of gas or electric will be easier.

Back