Perfect Pale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keef12345

Reaction score
:beer:

Suggestions for the best pale ale.

What hops would make the best aroma and flavour

What would be the best kit to use to produce a great PALE ALE

with great flavours and aromas.
What yeast would you guys use and what hops would complement the great ale.

Thankyou fellow brewers!!

:party:

What do you mean by PALE ALE?

There are many definitions of the style, from the Australian (a Lager), to the American (A super hoppy bitter ale and not very pale) to the original English (a not-very-pale ale, usually with fuggles and goldings hops and 4.5-5 % alcohol approx.).

What do you mean by PALE ALE?

There are many definitions of the style, from the Australian (a Lager), to the American (A super hoppy bitter ale and not very pale) to the original English (a not-very-pale ale, usually with fuggles and goldings hops and 4.5-5 % alcohol approx.).
A traditional Australian pale

in the mind of coopers

coopres make a great PA? wow!! sorry.

here are a few. not sure of your level of experiance so ill just stick with giving you kits and bits receipes

Easy drinking Pale Ale
Coopers Pale Ale (1.7kg)
750g Light Dried Malt,
250g dextrose,
250g malto dex.
Willamette hops 18 g @10 mins
Willamette hops 6 g @ 5 mins
finishing hops Pride of Ringwood 12g @ 0min
safale or saflager

Disappearing Quaffing Pale Ale
Coopers Pale Ale kit
1/2 kg Morgans Caramalt Extract
1 kg Liquid Amber Malt
1/4 kg Light DME
1/4 kg Brew Enhancer or Dex
30g Goldings ( 15 g boiled 45 min, 15 g boiled 20 min )
Dissolve DME in 2or 3 litres water by bringing to boil, add and boil Goldings for specified times.
Dissolve extracts & dex/BE in hot water in fermenter in usual K&K way,
add liquid from boiling through a strainer, add steeped Fuggles without straining.
Fill to 25 to 26 litres.
English Ale yeast,

the 2nd one is pretty full on to be called a pale ale but if you used a lager yeast it might come closer.

old number 8
Coopers Pale Ale (1.7kg)
450g Light Dried Malt
600g dextrose,
250g malto dex

CASCADE HOPS 14G @10 mins
AMARILLO HOPS 10G @10 mins
CASCADE HOPS 14G @ FLAME OUT
AMARILLO HOPS 10G @ FLAME OUT

SPECIALTY GRAINS.STEEPED FOR 25 MINS
(CRYSTAL MALT 250G +CARAPILS 100G <FOR HEAD RETENTION >)
Yeast: safale US 56 (18/c) or substitute with lager yeast

coopres make a great PA? wow!! sorry.

here are a few. not sure of your level of experiance so ill just stick with giving you kits and bits receipes

Easy drinking Pale Ale
Coopers Pale Ale (1.7kg)
750g Light Dried Malt,
250g dextrose,
250g malto dex.
safale or saflager

Disappearing Quaffing Pale Ale
Coopers Pale Ale kit
1/2 kg Morgans Caramalt Extract
1 kg Liquid Amber Malt
1/4 kg Light DME
1/4 kg Brew Enhancer or Dex
30g Goldings ( 15 g boiled 45 min, 15 g boiled 20 min )
Dissolve DME in 2or 3 litres water by bringing to boil, add and boil Goldings for specified times.
Dissolve extracts & dex/BE in hot water in fermenter in usual K&K way,
add liquid from boiling through a strainer, add steeped Fuggles without straining.
Fill to 25 to 26 litres.
English Ale yeast,

the 2nd one is pretty full on to be called a pale ale but if you used a lager yeast it might come closer.

old number 8
Coopers Pale Ale (1.7kg)
450g Light Dried Malt
600g dextrose,
250g malto dex

CASCADE HOPS 14G @10 mins
AMARILLO HOPS 10G @10 mins
CASCADE HOPS 14G @ FLAME OUT
AMARILLO HOPS 10G @ FLAME OUT

SPECIALTY GRAINS.STEEPED FOR 25 MINS
(CRYSTAL MALT 250G +CARAPILS 100G <FOR HEAD RETENTION >)
Yeast: safale US 56 (18/c) or substitute with lager yeast

first misson print out second mission off to the home brew shop to buy some ingrediants hey thanks for the recipes happy brewing, thanks!

Funny, I can't really taste hops in Coopers, but they'd be pride of ringwood in any case, wouldn't they?

With most extracts and kits you may end up a bit darker than Coopers Pale Ale, and I also see the recipes above include dextrose, which will be good to lighten it and dry it out as most extracts are not very fermentable.

In my experience the trick is a simple recipe and concentrate on the method. The recommended yeast US-56 (now called US-05) is the best dried yeast for cleaner ales and should work great. I've had good results with it in the past. Coopers is indeed an ale. However, other pale ales in Australia such as Cascade are in fact just lagers. Little Creatures and Moo Brew are two good examples of American Pale Ales that use Cascade hops. I also see Amarillo recommended, which is a very nice hop for citrusy pale ales.

Anyway, I find temperature control, yeast strain and handling have the biggest effects on the final taste. Other than that the recipes recommended sound good.

MFS.

Funny, I can't really taste hops in Coopers, but they'd be pride of ringwood in any case, wouldn't they?

With most extracts and kits you may end up a bit darker than Coopers Pale Ale, and I also see the recipes above include dextrose, which will be good to lighten it and dry it out as most extracts are not very fermentable.

In my experience the trick is a simple recipe and concentrate on the method. The recommended yeast US-56 (now called US-05) is the best dried yeast for cleaner ales and should work great. I've had good results with it in the past. Coopers is indeed an ale. However, other pale ales in Australia such as Cascade are in fact just lagers. Little Creatures and Moo Brew are two good examples of American Pale Ales that use Cascade hops. I also see Amarillo recommended, which is a very nice hop for citrusy pale ales.

Anyway, I find temperature control, yeast strain and handling have the biggest effects on the final taste. Other than that the recipes recommended sound good.

MFS.

Excellent summary. The Coopers Pale Ale green can has been my staple kit for several years, but now that I'm moving up to extract / mini mash, I have said goodbye to it. My last successful brew (one failure recently)

Cooper PA
1kg dry malt extract
1/2 can Morgans Caramalt (500g)
12g Hallertau (Morgans teabag)

Boiled caramalt, dme & hops 10 minutes
added to kit
opening SG 1040

yeast was the kit yeast plus dregs of 5 stubbies of real Coopers PA drunk leading up to brew. No starter tried.

Brewed at 20 degrees (in June)

Drank a few last night after a couple of wits. The extra malts overpowered the hops in the kit and the hallertau added wasn't enough. Needed a bit more bitterness (some Pride of Ringwood would have helped). Given my changing tastes about 30grams of Amarillo somewhere would have helped !! But it's still a drinkable beer and though a bit malty for my VB mates, they drink them anyway!!

Only made the Coopers PA can once so far.
Nice and basic recipe,
Coopers PA kit
Brew enhancer 1 or 2... can't remember which.
25g Nelson Sauvin, dry hopped.
Kit yeast.

Turned into a bloody unreal quaffer.
I'll give it another go sometime but replace the BE with dry malt, and use a better yeast.
All the best Keef

Easy drinking Pale Ale
Coopers Pale Ale (1.7kg)
750g Light Dried Malt,
250g dextrose,
250g malto dex.
safale or saflager

I'm a little confused with the description mate. Are you boiling the lot to drive the flavour hops into bitterness or do you just make up a small boil for the hops? or soaking in just boiled water?

and Pride as a flavouring hop, really?

disclaimer 1: that particular one isnt my receipe so I take no responsibility as to how it tastes etc.

1. As a general rule you dont boil tins of wort as they are prehopped and you will destroy any taste they do have.
2. Using Hops - you can either use a small amount of water say 500ml or boil the hops in there. or for better utilisation of the hops oils that are released, boil up some of the malt and water and add your hops to that.
3 . I use a gentle rolling boil for hops when its just K&K. I now do extracts partials etc and need to boil flat out to kill bacteria. So its up to you. You can steep the hops (ie let it sit in hop water but with no heat being applied) or boil it. Just note it doesnt need to be a flat out boil.
4 The bitterness is derived from the amount of time you boil hops and the type of hops used. longer boil means more bitterness
5. I agree that you dont normally see POR being used too much as a finishing hop. but then again its not my receipe.

I can only vouch for the Dissapearing PA. its a very nice drop, just not very pale in colour and its heavier than a traditional commercial PA. I recon the old number 8 is a bterr receipe than the first. but then again I'd also drop the dex a bit and sub some more LDME.

hope that explains it

POR as a finishing hop... is that so you can get that megaswill aroma?

For a relatively easy K&K I used the following:

Coopers Pale Ale can
1 Kg Light DME
500g Dextrose
250g Corn Starch
5gm First Gold Hops @20 min of 30 min boil
5gm First Gold Hops @30 min of 30 min boil
Yeast was recultured from 2x Coopers Pale Ale stubbies (first try!!)

Results after 2 weeks = yum!
Should mature into a nice beer later on.

possibly. Again... its not my receipe!!! I take responsbilit for it what so ever. Its a pretty standard receipe so what all the problems.

hang on i'll fixx this problem in a couple of words.......Brew a dark beer and avoid the entire hassle!

Keef & ibast, brew what you want and what you like ;) .

no worries ibast i was more stating to anyone else that wanted to have a go at the receipe that it wasnt mine. i was frustrated at something at work when i was posting so it may have ome across a little angry. i have no worries with people asking questions im happy to try and answer them

Back