Pear Cider Recipe Please?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psytramp

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to make a pear cider from my wife this summer. I know it is quite easy to make cider, however, I was after some specific instructions and details on making a good one.

Can anyone help with a pear cider they have done before and rate it highly.

Thanks!!

My main experience is with apple+pear cider.

I was finding that my 100% apple cider was fermenting a bit too dry for my tastes so started substituting apple+pear juice in as well. As pear juice contains unfermentable sugar it retains a little sweetness.

My latest cider conditioning at the moment is just 100% Apple+pear juice with a champagne yeast. Early tastings makes this one look promising!

Note that this is the mixed apple+pear juice bought from the supermarket. I once tried to add in some pear juice from the tins/cans for a little more sweetness but got an infection. Im not sure if it is because they don't pasturise pure pear juice or I was lazy/unlucky with my cleaning.

As a test I recently fermented 2 cans (~1.5L?) of pure pear juice along side my main batch of cider it to see what happens. I didn't get an infection this time so was able to bottle them and will have a test in a few weeks.

I've got a apple pear cider on the go now. 5x 2.4L Berri Apple, 4x 2.4L Berri Apple Pear, 250g LDME, yeast nutrient and wyeast 4766 cider. Has an extra bottle of Apple Pear over the last batch. Was well received by they cider drinkers in that there was some sweetness but was still relatively dry and refreshing. Just far too simple to make.

I've got a apple pear cider on the go now. 5x 2.4L Berri Apple, 4x 2.4L Berri Apple Pear, 250g LDME, yeast nutrient and wyeast 4766 cider. Has an extra bottle of Apple Pear over the last batch. Was well received by they cider drinkers in that there was some sweetness but was still relatively dry and refreshing. Just far too simple to make.
Sounds good. Wife just wants pear though, I might be able to convince her though of this one.

just do 9x 2.4L Berri Apple Pear, malt, nutrient and yeast. Good thing about them is it's so quick to make, no mash, boiling etc, just the cost of the ingredients.

just do 9x 2.4L Berri Apple Pear, malt, nutrient and yeast. Good thing about them is it's so quick to make, no mash, boiling etc, just the cost of the ingredients.
Thanks again...

Sorry for the OT, but could I use a saison yeast to do a cider for my wife? The reason I ask is my ferment fridge is always tied up, and the saison yeast could ferment at ambient temps. Just a thought I guess.

bah

My Dad makes alot of cider using Champagne yeast. He has mainly fermented around 20degC but my sister did a small batch last summer on the kitchen bench. Temp was probably somewhere in the range of 25-30degC. Turned out brilliant. A bit more fruity but still nice and dry.

Sorry for the OT, but could I use a saison yeast to do a cider for my wife? The reason I ask is my ferment fridge is always tied up, and the saison yeast could ferment at ambient temps. Just a thought I guess.

bah

cant see why not. I think it would pair nicely, go for it.

cant see why not. I think it would pair nicely, go for it.
yeah thats what I thought too. I decided to ask cos usually when I think something is right it is usually quite the opposite :lol:

bah

Maybe it would.... pear..... nicely.....

ey ey?

If you let pears get soft they are easy to crush but hard to press. I shred and press pears while they are still firm, works well for me.
I only use pears if I have no choice, they don't add much flavour.

Latest posts

Back