Pbw`

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul H

Reaction score
Guys,
Used PBW on my kettle that hadn't been cleaned of beerstone in over 5 years. Simply added 2 tablespoons to about 10L of hot water left for approx 2 hours cam back & wiped off, this stuff is amazing. Looking to use it for CIP when I set up my system on a stand.

I had put off & put off cleaning the kettle as I wasn't looking forward to having to scrub but now I'm sold.

Cheers

Paul

PBW is the cat's ass for cleaning kegs too. Mine eventually (over maybe 5-6 fillings) develop a white deposit that looks like hard water calcium deposits. Maybe that's what it actually is - who knows? Anyway, a bit of PBW in some warm water, slosh & dump and it's gone. Same goes for glass carboys. If they ever get a layer of crud that you can't brush off, PBW will take it off.

Paul,
I looked before & could not find it.
Just did another search & still can't find it.

?

Guess I'll have to stick with warm caustic then ........

Wadey

Paul,
I looked before & could not find it.
Just did another search & still can't find it.

?
Guess I'll have to stick with warm caustic then ........
Wadey
I think the story is, walk in, pick up only, at this stage. Ross was trying to see if he was able to post it.
Something about Posties not keen on white powder substance giving off odours in their trucks.

bloody timely thread !

just done and dusted the APA brewday, got all the gear soaking and remembered the PBW that Ross had sent and thought i better give the Kettle a clean but decided I'd do a search here first.

cheers paul :D

Yard

Great stuff, there is a pic of my kettle here.

Ive had a go at a few CIP sprinkler so I only need about 5L and just recirculate it for an hour. However my pumps flow rate is not quite high enough to get a good spray and trying to find a sprinkler that wont clog with soil is the other challenge.

For the mentally challanged eg-me what the hell is PBW? :huh:

Cheers Monkale

Thanks Screwie I knew I could count on you Im a dumb ass .Its just one big learning curve on here :rolleyes:

Cheers from up the hill

Thanks Screwie I knew I could count on you Im a dumb ass .Its just one big learning curve on here :rolleyes:

Cheers from up the hill

On ya mate, only knew cos I asked the same question about 2 months ago :blink:

I've been waiting for this stuff to hit our shores for ages so I could move away from hot caustic!

And we've got jon Herskovits from Five Star coming down to ANHC next month to talk about cleaning processes and chemicals, so look out for that one !

Andy

I just had my PBW Epiphany!

Ran it through pump & chiller for 30-ish minutes @ 130F - frightenting what came out of the chiller! Then ramped it up to 160F and into my kettle with hopstopper in it. Hopstopper I previously thought was rusty is in fact made of SS!! Tide mark on kettle where PBW finished. Now have shiploads of plastic bit soaking in it.

This stuff is the best cleaner I have ever used.

On on, L.

just checking, got my 2 of my kegs soaking now, is it ok for all the fermenter taps, hoses etc ?

mix is 250gm to 50lt

cheers

just checking, got my 2 of my kegs soaking now, is it ok for all the fermenter taps, hoses etc ?

mix is 250gm to 50lt

cheers

I give all my equipement a soak in it Dave. Great product.

Andrew

Can your store this stuff once it is made up?

Rook

Not sure about that Rook, although if you emailed 5 star chemicals I'm sure you'd get a quick answer.
I think most would make this up as required.

Andrew

Can your store this stuff once it is made up?

Rook

A few sample boxes were handed out at ANHC. A booklet in the box says you can transfer the solution from one soaking into another unit into another, but doesn't mention any lag time or life time of the solution. Suggest you may need to go to the website. If that's not readily available, email John Herskovits at Five Star - he really sounded like a good bloke for a yankee snake oil saleman at ANHC and said to email him if we had any problems.

I'm about to soak my keggle over night and see just how good this stuff is !

Back