Pbw And Teflon Tape.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobB

Reaction score
I decided to give PBW a try and noticed on the label that it says not to use on teflon surfaces. Sure enough, a quick search on the 'net uncovered a few stories of ruined saucepans.

Now, isn't thread sealing tape teflon? I haven't read of seals being dissolved by PBW but I was wondering if anyone has noticed that their tape has been attacked after running PBW through their system?

I believe* PBW does not dissolve Teflon tape as such, it lifts it from the surface of the pan. So it destroys the bond between the Teflon film and the pan

As your thread sealing tape is not stuck to anything, it should not become affected.

The brewing network covered it in an interview with the maker of PBW.
http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/Brew-St...-10-08-Cleaning

it is near the end of the interview.

Josh

*i don't use teflon tape in my brewery, so I cannot prove that what i heard is true

sorry to dig up an old thread, but i've been reading that PBW shouldnt be used on teflon, and also that a march pump contains teflon parts that come in contact with liquid,

has anyone had any problems using pbw through their march pump ?

has anyone had any problems using pbw through their march pump ?
Never heard of any problems - Its would appear lots of people run pbw through the march pump (and all pipes etc) on each brew day. Interested to hear of any issues from others though.

I've heard this on one of the podcasts with the guys from five star, it was either the brewstrong cleaning show or the basic brewing radio one, check it out.

[edit] I see what I just said is linked a few posts up.. the basic brewing version might have more info anyway.

Easiest way to test is to put some PBW and teflon tape together in a bucket?

Didn't check but I imagine that the guys who sell PBW would be very supportive of their product :p
gf

same as the way it leaves rings and stains on your laminex.

Hmmm,
I have not noticed it doing anything to my benchtop.

that is a bit of a worry if true. Might want to hide that sort of thing form the missus.

same as the way it leaves rings and stains on your laminex.

It left "clean" rings on my old laminex bench lol, so I used to wet the whole surface with PBW to clean the whole bench ;)

In my newer kitchen, it leaves no visible marks on the laminex.

I believe* PBW does not dissolve Teflon tape as such, it lifts it from the surface of the pan. So it destroys the bond between the Teflon film and the pan

As your thread sealing tape is not stuck to anything, it should not become affected.

The brewing network covered it in an interview with the maker of PBW.
http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/Brew-St...-10-08-Cleaning

it is near the end of the interview.

Josh

*i don't use teflon tape in my brewery, so I cannot prove that what i heard is true

Actually the guy from five star specifically says that PBW will pull the teflon tape apart over time, but that's not a problem if you keep on dissaseembling the threaded joints and replacing the tape... like you have to to be sanitary ;)

Latest posts

Back