Pbw And Starsan

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicelore

Reaction score
Hey guys

Well im about to keg my 1st brew into my new kegs and iv just ordered some 5 star PBW to clean them out with and i just wanted to make sure that you can use PBW to clean then Star san to sanatise.

I would of thaught this would be fine as they are both from the same company and i would think would of been designed to be used together so i just wanted to check.

Cheers guys.

Hey guys

Well im about to keg my 1st brew into my new kegs and iv just ordered some 5 star PBW to clean them out with and i just wanted to make sure that you can use PBW to clean then Star san to sanatise.

I would of thaught this would be fine as they are both from the same company and i would think would of been designed to be used together so i just wanted to check.

Cheers guys.

yep... no dramas... that is my regular cleaning routine for pretty much everything and it works a treat. PBW is great for cleaning hop material/trub off of the kettle...

Brendo

I'm pretty sure they are fine together. There was a recent brew strong podcast about cleaning and the entire show was basically devoted to explaining how PBW and starsan should be used.

Cheers

SJ

Thanks guys.

I thaguht so i just thaguht id check.

Cheers Vice.

It's ALWAYS best to be cautious mixing products if you're not familiar with them.

Yep PBW is great stuff but remember to mix it with hot water and use it hot. StarSan is great and as long as your water is soft or you mix it with distilled water it will last forever, almost. Get a spray bottle and put some in it. It is a contact sanitizer and also works great for leak checking kegs.

Brewers,

PBW will work equally as well in cold water, it will just take longer.
PBW followed by Starsan or Saniclean is the recommended regime from the manufacturers for cleaning anything from beer lines to Kegs.

cheers Ross....

I used PBW in my "small" 50 liter kettle that had 12 months of brown beer stone in it a couple of weeks ago. Also Put all my "old" baking pans in the mix to soak.

The PBW lifted black crap on the baking pans that oven cleaner wouldnt touch.

I brought it up to around 80 deg for about 4 or 5 hrs and all the crap went to jelly.

My wife couldnt believe the baking pans. One is around 30 years old and looks like new shiny SS.

Also ran it through the pipework on my brew rig after 3 years work and i wont tell you about what came out :icon_vomit:

The starsan is a great sanatiser also.

cheers

I used PBW in my "small" 50 liter kettle that had 12 months of brown beer stone in it a couple of weeks ago. Also Put all my "old" baking pans in the mix to soak.

I brought it up to around 80 deg for about 4 or 5 hrs and all the crap went to jelly.

My wife couldnt believe the baking pans. One is around 30 years old and looks like new shiny SS.

Also ran it through the pipework on my brew rig after 3 years work and i wont tell you about what came out :icon_vomit:

cheers

OK Dumb question I know... PBW is what?

Thanks,

I was just in at Ross's today and bought Starsan, Currently I am just using Napisan and clones for washing.

cheers

Now the secret is out and brewers all across Australia will be cursing you because the wife used up all the PBW cleaning pots and pans.

I try to do it with the used cleaner before dumping it.

One warning with PBW in the kitchen - apparently it will lift the teflon from non-stick cookware.

Latest posts

Back