Pbw And Starsan

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lobo

Reaction score
hi all,

for the last coupla years i have been using pink stain from brewcraft for all my sanitizing and cleaning of everything, kettle, kegs, and fermenters etc. i have always had issues with under attenuation of beers (allgrain) no matter what i do, aeration, pitching volume, mash temps, etc. (the only thing i havnt tried, or researched is mash-in water, its always 2.7l/kg is that about right?)

im thinking it may be the pink stain, as i have been getting really lazy latley, only filling my fermenters, kettles etc with water and pink stain, leaving it for days/weeks until i ue them again, and give them another shot of pink stain and a quick rinse with cold water then use.

sorry for the rant, here is the question

i have searched the forum and found everyone loves this PBW and it sounds the goods, so i might get some of this from ross, 15buks and it sounds like it would go fair way, teaspoon per 2.5l. i couldnt find any threads on starsan. is it any good? is it worth getting both/either? or should i just stick to pink stain and save myself 35buks?

cheers,

Lobo

i have searched the forum and found everyone loves this PBW and it sounds the goods, so i might get some of this from ross, 15buks and it sounds like it would go fair way, teaspoon per 2.5l. i couldnt find any threads on starsan. is it any good? is it worth getting both/either? or should i just stick to pink stain and save myself 35buks?

They are different products, so get both. PBW will get rid of your built up grime, beer stone etc, cleans but not sanitizes. Starsan sanitizes your bottles and fermenter etc before use.

hi all,

for the last coupla years i have been using pink stain from brewcraft for all my sanitizing and cleaning of everything, kettle, kegs, and fermenters etc. i have always had issues with under attenuation of beers (allgrain) no matter what i do, aeration, pitching volume, mash temps, etc. (the only thing i havnt tried, or researched is mash-in water, its always 2.7l/kg is that about right?)

im thinking it may be the pink stain, as i have been getting really lazy latley, only filling my fermenters, kettles etc with water and pink stain, leaving it for days/weeks until i ue them again, and give them another shot of pink stain and a quick rinse with cold water then use.

sorry for the rant, here is the question

cheers,

Lobo

Hi Lobo,
I don't see how your pink stain would affect FG but starsan works well I can attest for that. How do you control fermentation temp? Yeast can easily go to sleep early if near the end of a ferment and it drops a few degrees say at night time.

hockers

thanks hockadays,
i use a fermentation freezer with a mashmaster fridgemate. i was thinking along the lines of the pink stain being leeched into the plastic, coupled with me not rinsing with hot water or rinsing enough.

Lobo

I use starsan, I find it quite good, only needs 1 to 2 mins contact time. The only thing is the foaming, it is good to keep it in contact with the surface but can make it a PITA to get rid of in a hurry when you don't have time to drain.

I use starsan, I find it quite good, only needs 1 to 2 mins contact time. The only thing is the foaming, it is good to keep it in contact with the surface but can make it a PITA to get rid of in a hurry when you don't have time to drain.

I wouldnt worry about the foam, it becomes food for the yeast.

Wasn't really worried about it, but when you have the foam in your fermenter then you aerate the wort and make a heap more foam it all likes to come out the top of the fermenter.

thanks hockadays,
i use a fermentation freezer with a mashmaster fridgemate. i was thinking along the lines of the pink stain being leeched into the plastic, coupled with me not rinsing with hot water or rinsing enough.

Lobo

yeah I doubt the pink is the problem. Try raisng the temp of the beer by 2degc when the wort gets to 1.025 and see how that goes.

thanks hockadays,

Lobo

Having a fridge mate will keep you from going high, but won't keep you from dropping low. This may still be the issue.

dropping low temp wise? or attenuation? if its temperature, i must admit i do brew it on the low side of the temp recommendations. that could be what it is. i might aim for the mid range next time.

Lobo

Hi Lobo,have just changed my chemicals to the Five Star line up.Have a persistent bug I'm trying to kill,so thought it would not hurt.

Will let you know in about 7-10 days my thoughts.

Early thoughts are PBW removes heap more crap than napisan,I love the foam from star san,I'm shaking stuff like crazy to get more of it.Chill from kettle into all foam fermenter :D

After tipping out more then 120 lt lately,visually the foam makes me less paranoid

Latest posts

Back