Passionfruit Beer, please help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hard Earn't Thirst

Reaction score
I am pretty new to the brewing game and am thinking of brewing a passionfruit beer.

I need some help with some basic steps in brewing the beer. I have read some previous posts by some other members and was wondering if someone would be so kind to assist me by answering the following questions.

1. If i get a basic blonde beer formula and mix in some passionfruit to the brew will that work?
2. What hops should i use?
3. how much fruit per litre should I mix
4 how long should i let it ferment?
5. does any one have any other suggestions or comments that might assist?

I appreciate any advice people can offer.

Regards

H.E.T

If you want passionfruit, you need Galaxy Hops... donr go over the top though, a little bit goes a fair distance.

Specific answers..

1: erm.. actual passionfruit? Dunno man, keen to hear the results if you go that way..
2: As above, Galaxy really brings passionfruit to the game
3: Depends on which direction you go and no idea personally really..
4: Until it's finished, it will depend on your ingredients
5: I dunno about the Blonde can, my favorite was always the Pale Ale can, dunno why, just felt it was better to play with. If you already have it though, mate, just have at it :)

Have you made many brews before? I know you say 'pretty new' but that can mean almost anything.. have you played with Hops before?

Hi H.E.T.,

As Yob rightfully points out, an Australian hop by the name of "Galaxy" imparts quite an uncanny passionfruit flavour and aroma in beers - I'm guessing that's where you're picking passionfruit from. I've not heard of anyone adding the actual fruit to a beer, although I'm sure it could be done - if you wanted to.

Thank you gentleman,

Yob - I have brewed about 10 brews before, Black Beer, Pale Ale, Draught, larger, a very very poor stout. Most of my mates thought it was not real flash and were quite honest in there criticism but encouraging for the effort.

I am just planning on getting the kit back together and thoroughly researching my method before attempting another one. We have the perfect climate up here for it and think that i will be a lot more successful this time round as surely if i haven't already done so am very close to being able to say i have nearly ticked off every mistake in the book.

what do you think are alternatives to adding real fruit?

Primary = Where the bulk / all of the fermentation is done, the Primary Vessel, some people transfer the beer when the "primary" is almost complete for various reasons (I do not) to a "secondary Vessel", conditioning can occur in either vessel, it's a process of letting the beer age and 'settle'.. conditioning can happen at various stages..it just meant to let it sit really.. Cold Conditioning is another term for dropping the temp of the Vessel and the beer to 0-4'c for a week or so to drop much of the yeast out of suspension and aid in clearing the beer. Then there is bottle conditioning.. again, it's essentially just letting it age and the flavours blend and settle.

The only option you have if you dont use fruit is the Galaxy hops mate.

:icon_cheers:

Hard Earn't Thirst said:
this to most people will be a stupid question,

whats Primary, secondary and conditioning?
I'm no professor, but my understanding is:

Primary: the "first" fermenting vessel - quite often the only fermentation vessel used.

Secondary: some people like to then transfer the young beer to a "secondary" fermentation vessel, this removes a lot of dead yeast and some trub (unwanted nasties) for the period of time that the young beer remains in fermentation. This can help prevent off flavours forming (such as autolysis), as well as adding to improved clarity in the finished beer.

Conditioning: once fermentation has completed, beer can be "conditioned" - allowed to mature. This can help "bring the beer together" in terms of flavour, aroma, etc. Cold conditioning also helps in dropping unwanted matter (yeast, hop debris etc) out of the beer, to give you a clearer looking finished beer.

Yob, Spiesy et al, would there be a pH issue for the yeast with adding the actual fruit to the primary? Wouldn't adding to the secondary be necessary due to the high acidity of passionfruit? I would guess that a Galaxy/actual fruit combo wheat could be quite nice though.

Fk nose mate, probably not so much an issue if you keg?

Wouldnt know how much to start with personally, I guess you could "bag" it and try and try a 'dry hop' in a small test batch or something?

Winkle does a passionfruit wit, with actual passionfruit. Do a search for this.

I will read the rest of the replies in detail, rather than scanning, and if I can add owt, I will.

This is on my to do list.

Ditto same WRT Galaxy. Citra pretty much the same.

Sorry mate. You have a horrible climate for brewing. Yeah is fuggin hot up there and yeast loves it hot, but beer doesn't like what yeast does to it at high temps ( a few styles don't mind) I'm assuming here you're pretty new to the game. You need to ferment in a controlled environment at stable temps. Not mofo hot in the night and mofo hotter in the day. Look up temperature control

Okey dokey, if it were me (and it will be in a few months), i would:

Steal winkle's method for the passionfruit.
Construct a wit base, about 50/50 wheat and Pils malt.
About 20ibu of Galaxy at 10 minutes.
A saison yeast (which will suit you in NT - has anyone talked to you about temp control?).

So for you, if you can get a kit that will do a hoegaarden clone, use it as a base, otherwise 50/50 (make a double batch) of a euro pils or blonde plus a wheat beer kit).

Boil the kettle and soak about 50g of Galaxy in boiled water for 10 minutes of so.

Add to kit in fermenter.

Get a saison yeast, Danstar now have a dried one called Belle Saison and ferment with this.

I just racked a wheat beer onto some passionfruit tonight, what a coincidence!

I added the pulp of 6 large passionfruit to 200ml H2O in one of my flasks and brought to the boil for 3-mins, then cooled. I put the pulp into a hop bag and into the secondary fermenter, onto which I racked 24.5L beer which had been in primary for 7 days. I will taste it every day to see how well it is imparting the flavour before I transfer to keg.

I will let you know how it goes.

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -
2.50 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 Grain 2 52.1 %
2.10 kg Golden Promise (Simpsons) (3.9 EBC) Grain 3 43.8 %
0.20 kg Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC) Grain 4 4.1 %
10.00 g Hallertauer [4.80 %] - First Wort 30.0 m Hop 5 4.3 IBUs
10.00 g Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 5.0 IBUs
10.00 g Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 1.8 IBUs
1.0 pkg Bavarian Weizen Yeast (White Labs #WLP35 Yeast 8 -

EDIT: more info...

I have a pound of Galaxy and a neighbour's passionfruit vine that's already given about 50 golden passionfruit - looks to be about 50 more on it, and still flowering.

Certainly thinking about using the passionfruit for dry hopping and a fair whack of galaxy at 10 minutes in an APA.

Well I have kegged and tasted my passionfruit wheat beer and I must say that the passionfruit made NO noticeable difference to the beer. I am very disappointed :(

My Mosaic SMaSH has a shitload more passionfruit than this plain old wheat beer.

Back