Party Keg Smell Removal

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

absinthe

Reaction score
i have made a party keg but i cant seem to remove the slightly solventy smell

i use an "Aqua" brand sprayer from the big green shed, i have cleaned it with napisan, bleach, soap, high proof ethanol, and now am trying caustic.. any ideas?

i have made a party keg but i cant seem to remove the slightly solventy smell

i use an "Aqua" brand sprayer from the big green shed, i have cleaned it with napisan, bleach, soap, high proof ethanol, and now am trying caustic.. any ideas?

Try soaking it for a couple of day in bleach water

You need to (and you might have already) completely disassemble the sprayer and wash everything thoroughly in hot soapy water to remove any of the lubricant. I would also be running all the bits through a cycle on the dishwasher as well.

Don't pull it totally apart and you wont get rid of the smell.

After cleaning, I filled mine up with boiling water and a scoop of dishwasher powder... and let it cool down overnight. Repeat till smell goes away. Leaving it sit out in the sun for an afternoon wont hurt either.. Don't use it till you can't smell anything and preferably till you cant pick water that has sat in it overnight from water that has been in glass, in a blind triangle test.

I dont know ow you made your party keg... but if you retained the original pump mechanism.. the seals in that can be particularly hard to make neutral. As can the oring in the lid. Extra attention to those bits.

Leave it open in sunlight for a day or so, then try the napisan again..

well im not useing the pump and i have tried just about all the suggestions listed lol bleach was for 2 days, napisan was for 2 days haven't tried the dishwasher powder might try that and in the dishwasher, she is completely apart and im just talking about the vessel none of the parts are fitted

Dont under estimate the power of the sun to remove odour, a few days up in the QLD sun and all is good, just ask all of the visitors this time of year. ;) But seriously try leaving it in the UV's for a few days.

Shawn

well im not useing the pump and i have tried just about all the suggestions listed lol bleach was for 2 days, napisan was for 2 days haven't tried the dishwasher powder might try that and in the dishwasher, she is completely apart and im just talking about the vessel none of the parts are fitted

Thats why I said repeat till smell goes away... not just do it twice or something. Repeat... till smell goes away.

Its not the length of time soaking that is going to help, it is heat and repetition - your first clean or two would have gotten rid of surface substances, now you are trying to drive off the new plastic smell.. that is coming out of the plastic itself. Boiling water, let it cool, repeat. And the sunlight thing.

Latest posts

Back