Partial Vs Full - Why

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonydav

Reaction score
I've been brewing for about 3 years now steadily getting more adventurous (no doubt slowed by a good location for the brewing - the wife isn't too keen on me using the kitchen).

I've done a couple of the TCB kits with the grain (wetpaks) and have been very happy with the results. Investigating further options I happened upon the Blue Mountains Brewing site with the following instructions for doing a partial:

http://www.bmbrews.com.au/index.php/info/partial.html

What I was wondering is why in this case is the extract necessary instead of just doubling the volume of the grain?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but it's not obvious to me.....

tony

Smaller boil volume, smaller mash tun required. So it's easier on the equipment rather than the recipe.

tony,

I believe that these so-called "Blue Mountain Brewers" are proposing an intermediate method between extract brewing and all-grain.

Perhaps a little taste of grain, to get them noobs interested in the a.g. experience.

It's a method that takes the brewer out of their comfort zone, and yields a finer result than an extract brew.

Beerz
Seth :p

I went from kit to extract to partial to AG. It gave me a feel of using grain without going in full force. I didn't stay at that point for very long, though; only about 4 batches later I was going the whole hog!

I believe that these so-called "Blue Mountain Brewers" are proposing an intermediate method between extract brewing and all-grain.

Perhaps a little taste of grain, to get them noobs interested in the a.g. experience.

It's a method that takes the brewer out of their comfort zone, and yields a finer result than an extract brew.

That's what I figured from reading the link above. So it's effectively a step up from making one of the TCB Wetpaks but a step down from full AG?

Using their basic recipe (I'm sure it's a pretty basic and easy one not to scare of the plebs) if I had a big enough stock pot and mashing vessel could I change it into a basic AG by increasing the grain from 2kgs to 4kgs and leaving out the extract?

tony

Tonydav,

if you feel you are ready to brew with extract and grain, then I would suggest skipping the Blue Mountain kit extracts, which are pre bittered, and instead use plain un-bittered DME or LME and use your own fresh hops. Assess how much mashing and boiling capacity you have and use as much grain as you can, to give the best results. do a full 60 min boil and add the extract in the last 10 minutes to avoid unnecessary colour changes. This way you get to try your hand at the all-grain process, within the limits of your existing equipment.

Cheers - Snow.

I am currently at this stage and can totally agree with snows advise.

same here,
for me its boil volume plain and simple.
Soon as I can get (afford) a full size kettle its all grain for me.

Hi Tonydav,

You should go out to one of Pat's demo days, he puts the dates on his website, I went to one and that put me on the AG road to ruin. He is really imformative and passionate about brewing.

No affiliation, not even in the same state anymore :)

Cheers

While it is easier on the equipment it is also easier on time as it takes less time to boil up too!!!

Makes sense I think....

I'm thinking I'll see if I have enough "equipment" to do the partial mash as per the BM brew site. If I have to buy anything I'll make it suitable for a full mash as well.

Hi Tonydav,

You should go out to one of Pat's demo days, he puts the dates on his website, I went to one and that put me on the AG road to ruin. He is really imformative and passionate about brewing.

I'm not sure he's still doing them anymore. The date for the latest is in June... I'd really like to go to one though or at least see how it's done. Always easier when you've seen the process...

tony

Maybe give him a call and ask him to know for sure, maybe he doesnt do them as frequently as he used to since he opened his second shop.

Cheers

There was a demo in early September. This has helped me greatly. As usual, Pat did a great job to explain all the various processes.

No affiliation, et, etc. Just a satisfied customer.

:beer:

Tonydav; I had only ever brewed K+K and for bloody years too, then after finding this site and reading that most peoples beers are bloody good all the time (not just most of the time ) I started to do a small boil and add hops & better yeast,,, mmmm things are getting better ,,, then a fermentation cupboard to get my brewing temps stable and WOW good brew every time.
So I started to colect the bits to build a 3 vessel single tier brewery. I now have all that is requied for a traditional brewery except for a March pump.

However this has been put on hold because of 2 very good topics here .
All in one
BIAB

I have now put 2 BIAB's on and am awaiting the results , but if the hydrometer sample is anything to go by I dont think I will drink to many more K+K brews, I will brew a few for the VB drinkers that only knock homebrew then drink it because its free, but I feel that the BIAB is just as good as the more troditional brewery beers...

I want to build my 3 vessel brewery but I can get a lot of grain for the cost of a pump so it might wait till next dry season...and I will concentrate on getting stocks up for the Wet ahead...

While it is easier on the equipment it is also easier on time as it takes less time to boil up too!!!

I went from K&K to Kit and bits to AG pretty quickly. I overcome the equipemnt problem by simply using two big pots rather than a full blown kettle. I got the pots from Op Shops for next to nothing. Both are about 15 l which is enough room for a full boil. As for the mash tun. An old esky does the trick.

I guess what I'm saying is don't let the purchase of specialty gear put you off or slow you down. Get in there and have a go you WILL NOT regret it I promise. It is much easier than you think and the outcome is quantum leaps ahead of anything you will get out of a tin. Difference between fresh peas and tinned peas, with a partial like frozen peas is a good analogy.

Have a go!

Cheers

Tim

Tonydav; I had only ever brewed K+K and for bloody years too, then after finding this site and reading that most peoples beers are bloody good all the time (not just most of the time ) I started to do a small boil and add hops & better yeast,,, mmmm things are getting better ,,, then a fermentation cupboard to get my brewing temps stable and WOW good brew every time.
So I started to colect the bits to build a 3 vessel single tier brewery. I now have all that is requied for a traditional brewery except for a March pump.

However this has been put on hold because of 2 very good topics here .
All in one
BIAB

I have now put 2 BIAB's on and am awaiting the results , but if the hydrometer sample is anything to go by I dont think I will drink to many more K+K brews, I will brew a few for the VB drinkers that only knock homebrew then drink it because its free, but I feel that the BIAB is just as good as the more troditional brewery beers...

I want to build my 3 vessel brewery but I can get a lot of grain for the cost of a pump so it might wait till next dry season...and I will concentrate on getting stocks up for the Wet ahead...

Funny you mention that as I've been paying particular attention to those exact threads. I was all lined up to purchase an alum stockpot but one of the guys on the forum is letting me have a couple of 50L kegs that I'll be able to convert into a brewpot. Then get the wife to knock up a bag for me, buy a nasa burner and bobs (was) my uncle :).

tony

You can convert the other keg into a mashtun easily too. Just add a tap, and a foam camping mattress gaff taped round the outside for insulation - they work well.
Cheers
Steve

Back