Partial To Partials

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfarrell

Reaction score
Hello again, first time posting in this forum ( K&K here :p )

I want to steep some specialty malts to get ready for all grains later. Just have a few quick questions.

Can you steep grains so you don't have to add any extra sugars or am I on the wrong track?

I drink Coopers Draught a lot so I know the taste of that kit well, what can I do grain wise to extend that kit.

Anyway thanks for the help, I am getting funds together to buy a kettle and burner, but until then I just want to experiment. ;)

Steeping grain provides mostly unfermentables that add taste, so you still have to get your fermentables the regular way.

I used to use a lot of Medium Crystal Malt, it added a darker amberish colour, and a faint caramel taste. I never used the lighter crystal malts.

I used to use steeped carapils with kits. 150g per batch usually & some hops. The carapils will give a good head & the hops will add flavour.

If you want to cut the sugar you will have to use some base malt, pale or pils grains steeped between 60-70 deg for 60 mins. (mash)

Latest posts

Back