Partial Mashing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snow

Beer me up, Scotty!
Reaction score
To all the mashers out there,

I am planning on doing a partial mash for my next oatmeal stout and will be using 1kg of pale malt, 100g of roasted grains and 350g of rolled oats in the mash. My problem is I don't have a mash tun/bucket thingy and was planning on mashing in my 10L stovetop pot with all the grains in a nylon grain bag. I'm thinking I should be able to sparge by putting the open grain bag into a colander that rests on top of the pot and just pour the hot water onto the grains that way.

Am I crazy? Do you think this will work? :huh:

Cheers - Snow.

This sounds like a good plan - I've only done one partial mash so there are probably some regular partials who'd have ideas. I did something pretty similar to what you're doing.

It can be as easy as blazes - as shown by the guide at stpats.

http://www.stpats.com/mashk.htm

cheers
reg

Thanks mate. It does sound pretty simple. Although this technique sounds like it would introduce a fair bit of oxygen into the wort, and you would need two large pots. I think I'll try it with the grain bag and see how I go. Hope the oats don't clog it up!

- S.

Partial Mashing

Snow,

I dont know about using the grain bag. A friend of mine had infection problems and some initial dye/colour problems. Took him a while to isolate it to this.

I think it would be wiser to use the pot and strain through a seive.

Add some of the following:
Pale xtal
Light rye
Flaked barley

For some nice flavours...

Hope this helps

If you're concerned about clogging - rice hulls work very well - I brew from grain and add 3 or 4 handfuls to each mash.

cheers
reg

Latest posts

Back