Partial Grains In Malt Extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jedaks

Reaction score
Hello. This is my first post to this forum.

The other day I made my first beer using some grain along with unhopped malt extract. I have made several wonderful beers using only the extract syrup and various choices of hops. But this is my first time adding grains.

I selected an English Mild.(19 litres volume) The recipe called for 2kg of malt extract, 225 gr of choc malt or black roasted malt, and 50g of fuggles hops.

My local homebrew shop, whilst very helpful, is not very sophisticated. They only had a 100g each of choc malt and 100g or black roast. So I put both of them in the brew. The smell in the kitchen was delightful!

Before I pitched the yeast I tasted the wort and there was a strong bitterness/burned flavour from the grains.

The beer is still fermenting and travelling along fine. But my question is, will that bitterness mellow after fermentation and maturing?

Thank you.

[email protected]

More info needed .

Did u steep the cracked grains and then strain and add to your extract for the boil with the hops?
If you boiled the grains in the wort 4 an hour it will be mega astringent and this will stay.

Post your whole method from top to bottom and some one will be able to help you out.

Thank you for your reply.

I steeped the grains in water, but didnt let it boil, for about 45 minutes.
I strained the grains out and then brought the liquor to a boil, then added the malt syrup and hops and boiled for 40 minutes.
I then strained all this into a fermenter and topped up with cold water to the 19 litre mark.

MMMM.......
That does seem like a large amount of black malt for a beer with a light malt base.
Probably would have been better with same chocalate and say 25/30 grams of black for colour.
if it does turn out to a little to astringent don't despair ,just brew up a nice amber ale and make black'n'tans in the glass.

Maybe source a better brew shop or buy a few specialty grain in 500 gm packs online and fiddle around from there.

feel free to pm me with any queries.I spent 6 odd years brewing extract plus specialty b4 going AG and doing the odd partial.

Dave

Back