Partial Grain To Malt Extract Ratios

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis

Official keg inhaler
Reaction score
I am keen to get into mashing grains at first to replace the liquid/dry malt extract used with kits.
My question is, if I want to replace 1kg of LDME with grain which grain do I choose and what weight of grain?
Are there any tables anywhere that show what grain to use to replace a particular malt extract?

Thanks

Well, it depends on the efficiency of your mash / sparge but for as an estimate about 2.5 to 3 kilos of pale malt would be roughly equivalent to a kilo of extract.

In terms of what malt to use, it depends. For extra pale extract, use pilsener malt. Light malt, use ale malt. Darker malts can be approximated using blends of specialty malts, and darker base malts like munich. Make the grain bill according to style i.e. use a combination of ale malt and chocolate or roasted malt in a stout.

Well, it depends on the efficiency of your mash / sparge but for as an estimate about 2.5 to 3 kilos of pale malt would be roughly equivalent to a kilo of extract.

In terms of what malt to use, it depends. For extra pale extract, use pilsener malt. Light malt, use ale malt. Darker malts can be approximated using blends of specialty malts, and darker base malts like munich. Make the grain bill according to style i.e. use a combination of ale malt and chocolate or roasted malt in a stout.

I am looking to just replace the 1kg light DME in a Coopers Wheat kit. So, 2-3kg of ale malt would do it yes?
Guess I should go find a mash tun now :)

Ok, so now I need a 70 litre pot sigh
Seriously, thanks for the link

For a couple of kilos of grain you could do it with a 30.... maybe even 20 litre pot. I popped that thread up just to point you to an alternative to a mash tun, that thread is based on full 20 odd litre batchs/4.5 - 5 kg of grain. All my partials were BIAB using around 1.5kg of grain then topping up with LME or sugars.

For a couple of kilos of grain you could do it with a 30.... maybe even 20 litre pot. I popped that thread up just to point you to an alternative to a mash tun, that thread is based on full 20 odd litre batchs/4.5 - 5 kg of grain. All my partials were BIAB using around 1.5kg of grain then topping up with LME or sugars.

Slowly reading through the BIAB thread with great interest.
The only pot I have is a 12 litre one so will have to upgrade anyway eh

I did all my first partials in a 15 litre water cooler converted into a mash tun with a copper manifold. Worked a treat. Could mash 2.5 kilos of grain easily.

I have a 23 litre pot and I mash ~4kg / brew to give 18l of wort. I do concentrated boils (obviously) but I get an efficiency of 70-75%.

Ok, so now I need a 70 litre pot sigh
Seriously, thanks for the link

and then you'll need a kick-arse burner and a pump, or some sort of steps so your vessels can drain one into the other, and a wort chiller. :)

and then you'll need a kick-arse burner and a pump, or some sort of steps so your vessels can drain one into the other, and a wort chiller. :)

Yes, I think I'll take a step back from that. A few partial mashes first me thinks :icon_cheers:

Ok, so now I have a large hop bag from G&G that can hold 3kg of grain. Also have 2kg of milled JWM ale malt. With my 12lt pot could I do a partial BIAB mash to add to a kit can?

Back